General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Car and Driver tests the GT-R (11.5 1/4 and 3.3 0-60)

Old 03-27-2008, 11:02 AM
Old School

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John
i am never short on dreams and goals, nor am I short on reality.

Reality is, very few of these cars are going to be sold at or even near sticker. There's going to be quite a few investors who are going to buy the car and put it on ebay for the highest bidder. After that, its going to follow the path of the Supra, who's resale value today still is out of reach for most of you (practically speaking). And that car hasn't been sold in over 10 years.
+1.I have talked to two people who work at local nissan dealers(one is the gm and the other is car inventory manager) and they stated at least 4 deposits at each dealer at a "marked up" sticker.These cars will share the same price hike like the shelby gt500 and ford gt.I'm just glad i will prob get to test drive one since the guy who works next to me is the inventory managers husband.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:00 AM
Banned

He's g@y.........
Old 03-28-2008, 07:32 AM
USMC Infantry

Originally Posted by plazma
Pretty interesting article.

Whats up with it making peak TQ at 7k/redline? Thats kind of odd.

The times are cool but i'd like to see more tests and see if everyone ends up in the same range. I remember when there was alot of talk about how the evo/sti tested to be fast as the 03/04 cobra but when people started having them it was proved rather quickly that they weren't equal in terms of a straight line race. I'll be hoping that everyone shows that these cars are really mid eleven second cars. If that happens then what car you really say except wow.

On the down side the weight and price put it up with some serious performance cars. It should be interesting to see it racing with some of the competition and see how it holds up.

These things will most likely not drop enough in price to be affordable for the average car buyer within 10 years and might not drop off much at all. (think ford gt)
Steve Jones runs 11.67 1/4 mile in R35 GTR

Nissan GTR vs Porsche 911 Turbo vs Chevrolet Corvette Z06

ROADandTRACK.com -- Comparison Tests - Comparison Test: Nissan GT-R vs. Chevrolet Corvette Z06 vs. Porsche 911 Turbo (5/200

R&T only got 11.8 at the 1/4 mile, but they said it was 5 seconds faster at the track vs the 911 turbo and Z06
Old 03-28-2008, 10:16 AM
Fawkin Skittles

^^^ nice find

Originally Posted by efficientkiller
none of this really matters at the end of the day...if you really want to know, the true answer is found in research, why post a ignorant thread & call it a debate? this is exactly why TR gets the critizism it does...
Old 03-28-2008, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by g-50Cab

Yoda says "3900 lbs does not a sports car make"
lol, look what the times are on this car.. If it were lighter thatd be insane to see what it could do.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:23 PM
From Boost 2 Displacement

i want one...for performance reasons...it would be a hard choice for me between a z06 and this

2008 Z51 Corvette

It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live." -Marcus Aurelius
Old 03-28-2008, 08:58 PM
15 seconds EXHILARATION

With the current knowledge of the car I'd get the Z06 for ease of tuning. It seems like they designed this car with the idea of making aftermarket tuning difficult and generally limiting what you can do with the car. Hell, the Japanese-market car has a GPS tracking system that limits the top speed and only allows you to race the thing at pre-approved race tracks. And then you have to take it in for expensive follow-up service or your warranty is void! The article in Evo magazine said the limiter was at 112 mph on their imported cars and they couldn't do a full quarter mile test. The US cars aren't supposed to have these limitations, but the fact that they did it at all makes me dislike the whole thing. I'd also prefer the lightweight RWD V8 car for its driving dynamics. That said, automotive engineering has reached the point where the GT-R defies expectations and performs like a car weighing hundreds of pounds less. Everything I read tells me that this car is the closest anybody has come to not just making a heavy car fast, but actually making it feel like a light car.

There's still no denying that it's a fantastic performance car and at its price level it is setting a new standard for world class peformance on par with cars costing many times more. Every magazine test has it either matching or beating yesterday's kings of the street in various performance comparisons. Whether or not it is truly more capable is hard to say because it's so much more capable in the hands of an unskilled driver. These magazine guys who hop in the car and are pounding it down a drag strip or around a road course five minutes later rarely get every tenth out of a car; forum guys always beat their 1/4 miles and track times. The most impressive thing about this car is that it just might be giving its all for drivers with no experience in the car where cars like the Z06 require a very skilled driver to wring that last bit of performance out of the car.