General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

New Hyundai Genesis Coupe VS. Mustang?

Old 03-20-2008, 03:51 AM
REACH AROUND EXPERT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by myltwon
from my personal experience korean cars fall apart pretty easy so I'll take the stang
lol that is a dumb comment knowing that gm and ford cars built in america are garbage.My mom was a mustang/camaro lover till she saw my cars never break down and hers always do.

I probaly would take the Hyundai .I for one like the looks.If it isn't a tank like the stang then it will be even better.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:41 PM
Bolt-On 2v GT

Originally Posted by wsideshow
lol that is a dumb comment knowing that gm and ford cars built in america are garbage.My mom was a mustang/camaro lover till she saw my cars never break down and hers always do.
outside the normal wear and tear replacement on a 14 year old/136k mile car I have no problems

my girlfriend who has a 3 year old kia has a passanger door that won't open, my co-worker has a hyundai a few years older and half the door handles are broken off and the passanger side window won't go down and the driverside window won't go up

"Does this look like a piece of crap to you? Like them spinnin' tires do you?"
Old 03-26-2008, 02:47 PM
TR Registered Member #5

v6 is suppose to have 310 hp and weigh the same as my Z which has 306hp and runs 13.3s stock, which is faster then a stock mustang.........

Editor - Stangtv.com - Dragzine.com

2011 Mustang GT Premium 6-speed manual Sterling Gray Metallic - New Project Car
SCT SF3 - FRPP Adjustable Handling Pack - Vortech 597 RWHP 476 lb/ft - 7.5 PSI

1965 Mustang - Blow thru Dart SBF 427ci with a Paxton NOVI-2500
Hydraulic roller, 91 octane, 1030HP

Old 03-26-2008, 04:00 PM

Looks like a RSX ----- on crack
Old 03-26-2008, 04:03 PM

what was that famous line in tokyo drift when he takes shaun in to give him the evo " what you think id let you roll in a hyundai ? ".
Old 03-27-2008, 07:29 AM

The car was on pg 20 of the TBT this morning .
Old 03-27-2008, 01:00 PM
Shake n' Bake

I probaly would take the Hyundai .I for one like the looks.If it isn't a tank like the stang then it will be even better.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:14 PM
Haul'n the Family

wrong.

J.D. Power and Associates Reports:
Ford Motor Company Captures Most Awards in 2007 Initial Quality Study

WESTLAKE VILLAGE, Calif.: 6 June 2007 — Ford Motor Company garners five top model segment awards—more than any other automobile corporation this year, according to the J.D. Power and Associates 2007 Initial Quality StudySM (IQS) released today.

In the study, Ford Motor Company earns model segment awards for the Ford Mustang, Lincoln Mark LT, Lincoln MKZ, Mazda MX-5 Miata and Mercury Milan.

“The 2007 IQS results contain some encouraging and positive news for Ford Motor Company,” said Neal Oddes, director of product research and analysis at J.D. Power and Associates. “Fourteen Ford Motor Company models place in the top three of their respective segments—an achievement unmatched by any other corporation this year.

source:
2007 Initial Quality Study (IQS) | J.D. Power and Associates
Old 04-08-2008, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by myltwon
outside the normal wear and tear replacement on a 14 year old/136k mile car I have no problems

my girlfriend who has a 3 year old kia has a passanger door that won't open, my co-worker has a hyundai a few years older and half the door handles are broken off and the passanger side window won't go down and the driverside window won't go up
You can compare a handful of any brand "testimonials" to a handful of any other brand "testimonials" to make whatever brand you like more look better.

My father has a 2001 Ranger that is falling apart, he drives it like a grandma, but the brakes in the rear are obliterated (both drums are so gone that so much brake fluid mixed with brake dust that its filled with tar), the engine constantly needs new sensors/fuses/relays, CEL's for the same thing even after you replace the part, and the ABS randomly wont let the car stop it just pulses until you slam the Parking brake (not fail-safe). Not to mention when it isn't broke it gets unexplained piss poor gas mileage

My cousin has a 2000 Mustang that blew injectors and fuel pump at <50k, randomly stalls/wont start, radiator hoses tend to explode (2x), overheats even with new radiator, thermostat, waterpump, and 2 radiator hoses lol.

I have a 2001 Tiburon that I've turbocharged, i beat the piss out of it on stock internals and upgraded clutch and it hasn't had one hiccup besides a bad battery.

Does this mean Fords are crap and Hyundai's are better? No, because 3 cars isn't a proper sample size in any experiment.

Whatever car company there is, there's always people who have extreme stories of longevity and reliability and people who have experienced the polar opposite.

You have to look at the stats, as these aren't biased by a persons predisposition toward one brand or another. IQS are a great study of quality, where Hyundai has been ranking in the top five consistently.

Here's a blurb from the 2006 jdpower IQS:

Averaging just 91 problems per 100 (PP100) vehicles, Porsche tops the overall nameplate rankings. Porsche’s success can be partly attributed to the all-new Cayman, which tops the compact premium sporty car segment. Porsche is followed in the rankings by Lexus, Hyundai, Toyota and Jaguar, respectively.
Hyundai ranks among the top three nameplates in the study for the first time in the history of IQS. Highlights include a top ranking for the Hyundai Tucson in the compact multi-activity vehicle (MAV) segment, and top-three segment performances for the redesigned Sonata and all-new Azera, as well as the Elantra and Tiburon.

Last edited by Alex01tib; 04-08-2008 at 11:41 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:49 PM
Haul'n the Family

Originally Posted by Alex01tib
You can compare a handful of any brand "testimonials" to a handful of any other brand "testimonials" to make whatever brand you like more look better.

My father has a 2001 Ranger that is falling apart, he drives it like a grandma, but the brakes in the rear are obliterated (both drums are so gone that so much brake fluid mixed with brake dust that its filled with tar), the engine constantly needs new sensors/fuses/relays, CEL's for the same thing even after you replace the part, and the ABS randomly wont let the car stop it just pulses until you slam the Parking brake (not fail-safe). Not to mention when it isn't broke it gets unexplained piss poor gas mileage

My cousin has a 2000 Mustang that blew injectors and fuel pump at <50k, randomly stalls/wont start, radiator hoses tend to explode (2x), overheats even with new radiator, thermostat, waterpump, and 2 radiator hoses lol.

I have a 2001 Tiburon that I've turbocharged, i beat the piss out of it on stock internals and upgraded clutch and it hasn't had one hiccup besides a bad battery.

Does this mean Fords are crap and Hyundai's are better? No, because 3 cars isn't a proper sample size in any experiment.

Whatever car company there is, there's always people who have extreme stories of longevity and reliability and people who have experienced the polar opposite.

You have to look at the stats, as these aren't biased by a persons predisposition toward one brand or another. IQS are a great study of quality, where Hyundai has been ranking in the top five consistently.

Here's a blurb from the 2006 jdpower IQS:
Nicely put. You're right. Basically you can swing the story however you want. That just shows it s a level playing field.
There is no doubt that Hyundai and Kia have stepped up to the plate. But, so has everyone else, including Ford. The only real hurdle Hyundai and Kia have to overcome now, is a dismal resale value, but that will change as they continue to make positive gains.
Bottom line, comparing the new Genesis coupe to a Mustang is rediculous. But this is what Hyundai claims was their benchmark. In my opinion....I think Hyundai has a way to go before they can claim that the Genesis coupe is a viable contender for the "pony car/musclecar" designation and unseat the Mustang or the soon to be on the market Camaro and Challenger. Lets just say Hyundai has their work cut out for them. But I applaud their efforts to offer another quality rear drive platform to the market.

Last edited by fastforward; 04-09-2008 at 06:51 PM.