General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Toyota Camry gets first win in NASCAR!

Old 02-15-2008, 05:51 AM
Still Addicted to Boost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JonLGT
Stock car racing is about as boring as racing gets. You only have to watch the first and last 5 laps to be satisfied.
not at Talladega or Daytona. For the most part races at those tracks are very exciting during the whole distance. I am not what you would say a die hard nascar fan but i do like the Big races and the road courses.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:59 AM
PSSHHH x2

well i am going to the daytona 500 this weekend...its my 1st nascar race, im not really enthused about going but its free so what the hell right. ill let you know if i have a good time apart from traffic.
Brocks megaphone
Spencercycle 10" swingarm
MPS auto shifter
Hays convertible clutch

Yea, that about sums it up...

Old 02-15-2008, 06:10 AM
Sexist

Stock car racing is about as boring as racing gets. You only have to watch the first and last 5 laps to be satisfied.
I disagree but to each their own.

Regardless, no racing is as boring or cluttered with a gazillion commercials or the kind of pricks that the NFL or NBA has. And I'm a former Bucs season ticket holder and recovering football fanatic.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:22 AM
could be worse

I like indy car type races. other stuff like that. Im really into the "le mans" style cars. I dont know what else they race, but where the street cars are going at it (obviously modified but I can look and see the corvette, the Ferrari, lambo and so on.

www.generationsofcabinetry.com
Old 02-15-2008, 07:14 AM
15 seconds EXHILARATION

The races I really enjoy watching are the production-based race series. Seeing cars going at it on the track that you can actually see on the street makes it more interesting for me. I love the fact that most of the R&D put into these racing programs can directly translate to a car I can buy and drive every day. I mean, because of NASCAR I can get just absolutely fantastic heads and intakes and everything and make 800 HP NA- if I want a 3 MPG carburetted 30-year-old engine. On the other hand, I don't think we'd have a 505-hp 7000-rpm Corvette Z06 if not for the C5R.

My favorite racing series has got to be Speed World Challenge racing, especially GT. When I daydream about becoming independently wealthy and pursuing a racing career (no way I'd try to earn a living by driving- too stressful) I picture myself running in WCGT.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:25 AM
Daddy-O

Chuck, it's hopeless with the twigs in here.. no clue as to what it takes to drive a car of that caliber at those speeds, the technology required to do so, etc.. I don't see how Indy (who race in circles as well as some road courses) is any different.

Too each their own I guess..

Side note, was pretty cool on the pre-race deal to see the old cars running around the track..
Old 02-17-2008, 12:17 PM
Sexist

Originally Posted by Strokd85
Chuck, it's hopeless with the twigs in here.. no clue as to what it takes to drive a car of that caliber at those speeds, the technology required to do so, etc.. I don't see how Indy (who race in circles as well as some road courses) is any different.
I hear ya. If some of these tight asses would spring a few bucks at DriveTech Racing School | School Of Racing | Drive a real NASCAR | NASCAR driving school | Drive a real NASCAR racecar | Drive A Real NASCAR race car | Drive a real NASCAR car and do a few laps at USA Speedway in Lakeland they wouldn't be such the haters. I did 25 laps at Lakeland yesterday and it was as much fun as any of my high school glory days as a starting QB and linebacker.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:19 PM
Driver

I will never understand how people can say they dont like watching Nascar races because the cars are ugly, are "not real street cars", or use "old technology" (which is far from the truth). I watch all forms of racing, and all series and I enjoy it all. There is a reason why Nascar is the most watched racing series in this country. Marketing can't get people to keep watching if the races were boring.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:32 PM
15 seconds EXHILARATION

I watched 20 minutes or so of the Daytona 500 today. It was alright. The cars are all the same so the real interesting part is pulling for your favorite drivers. Unfortunately my favorite drivers were running in the teens and twenties for the most part and didn't get a lot of screen time. There's a lot of passing but it's all about drafting and pushing each other out of the way, doesn't get me fired up like a pass under braking at the end of the main straight in a sports car race. I wasn't exactly bored watching it, but I'd be perfectly happy reading about the results in Autoweek instead (my preferred method of keeping tabs on most racing series).

I fully understand the skill and technology behind the series. It's just not my cup of tea. Honestly a lot of racing is boring to watch- most of the F1 races were a snooze last year except for the one they ran in the rain and whiteout fog (I think it was Japan? dunno). The only thing that kept it interesting was again the drivers- meteoric rise of Hamilton, feud with defending champion Alonso, last-minute comeback by Raikkonen.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:31 PM
Bolt-On 2v GT

I guess people want to be stuck in yesterday. Who cares if they go faster, it looks stupid! form>function right?
actually COT is slower and safer, not faster

"Does this look like a piece of crap to you? Like them spinnin' tires do you?"