General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

quick questiong for replacing control arm on 2002 bmw

Old 09-15-2007, 07:17 AM
could be worse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick questiong for replacing control arm on 2002 bmw

Hey, my sisters 02 325i bmw needs a new front control arm, I am looking online for one and the one site i get stuff from is saying somthing about having to replace both?? Is this right or can I just replace the one that is bad and go from there? thanks

edit, new question

Its the bushing towards the rear of the car (still on the front, pass side..Can i just replace this bushing or does the whole arm need redone?

www.generationsofcabinetry.com

Last edited by TIM TIM TIM; 09-15-2007 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:38 AM
KJ
bored at work

If you are replacing the lower one then yes they are usually replaced in pairs by most shops but that doesn't mean they have to be. What is the purpose of replacing, is the ball joint bad or is the thrust bushing have play?

Gracie Barra Clearwater Gyms in Clearwater, St. Pete and Port Richey
pm me if you are interested in trying a free class at any of the gyms.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:55 AM
could be worse

Honestly I dont know, my dad took the car in to get a tire patched and they had it on the lift and showd him. He has noticed the car making some poping noises or somthing every so often in the front end, The guy at the tire place was showing him all the tires too, they were apperantly messed up from the front end and being out of alignment. that is all i know. I do need to replace pushings and everything with it, right?

Old 09-15-2007, 07:58 AM
could be worse

Btw nice car kj, seen it driving around the other day, looks and sounds good.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:21 AM
King of Ricers

that sounds like the CV joint, not the control arm. and those dont have to be replaced in pairs. in fact, I would jsut wait till its shimmying while driving and then replace.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:24 AM
could be worse

well he showed my dad the part so i can only assume they both knew what they were looking at

Old 09-15-2007, 08:26 AM
isuck

Originally Posted by NoTLaDStyle
that sounds like the CV joint, not the control arm. and those dont have to be replaced in pairs. in fact, I would jsut wait till its shimmying while driving and then replace.
nah, cv joints mainly make a weird rubbing sound when the boot rips. I guess it could make a muffled pop sound, i'd get under her car and run your hand around it first to check that out, if you feel the rip in the boot and your hand comes back greasy, you found it.

It's a free check, why not do it?
LOGIC? You seriously want to invoke logic in a conversation about fake hijackings, missiles hitting the pentagon, and bombs planted throughout the world trade center? I thought it was a given that logic was checked at the door when entering one of these threads.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:31 AM
could be worse

i know its not that lol. I just needed to know if I have to replace both at a time

also now I need to know if I need to replace the bushings too, im pretty sure I do but just checking.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:40 AM
!!PORTUGAL!!

Originally Posted by NoTLaDStyle

pretty sure all bimmers are rwd.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:03 AM
could be worse

didnt even think about that part, yeah it is rwd so thats for sure not an option..

anyways, im over here now and taking a look.. when the car is jacked up, you can take the wheel and shake it side to side, almost like a bad wheel bearing but if you look behind you can see the whole control arm and everything moving. It appears that the bushing toward the rear (control arm shaped as an L, 2 points hit on car and 1 hits on the wheel assembly). its the Rear hitting point on the vehicle. looks as if the bushing is bad, its just jiggling around in the bushing.. Can I just replace that bushing? I dont see how the big metal L shaped control arm is broke or anything, unless its somthing inside the bushing area