General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Ferd guy with a Nissan Problem, HELP!

Old 08-14-2007, 05:32 PM
Thread TERRORIST

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ferd guy with a Nissan Problem, HELP!

Also in Nissan Tech, but its dead in there and I want to try and get a quick answer so I can maybe have it running again tonight, so:

So, my girlfriend's 2001 Nissan Altima 2.4L wasn't starting. I pulled the fuel line off the rail, plenty of fuel. Felt the intake inlet and checked the airbox, good airflow. That just leaves spark, right? I stuck a spark plug in each one of the spark plug wires and there was no spark...so that pretty much convinced me.

I pulled the distributor cap and rotor off (I was in awe that you guys still use distributors, but whatever, good technology never dies ) and they looked kinda chewed up, so I put a new cap and rotor on. The rotor has maybe 1 or 2 micrometers of play in it; I tightened down the screw that makes sure its sitting snug on the shaft pretty well, but its still got that tiny tiny tiny tiny bit of play. The cap is snug as can be. I'm sure all the connections are snug and all the plugs went back on properly. Here is my problem:

At first, when you started the car, it would crank but would NOT start. Not even a sputter after you took your hand off the key. Just dead. NOW when you try to start it cranks..but all wierd-like. Short, short, long. Short, short, long. Imagine a typical cranking sound, but Short, Short, Long over and over. And as soon as you stop trying to start it its dead again.

Please. Help? I admit defeat at the hands of your technologically superior vehicles.

"They were crying when their sons left, God is wearing black. Hes gone so far to find no hope, hes never coming back. They were crying when their sons left, all young men must go. Hes come so far to find the truth hes never going home."

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:34 PM

fuses lol...as ronald mcdonald will tell you

R.I.P - Tim Aldrich (Osama Tim Laden)

Old 08-14-2007, 05:46 PM
Bewbie Ricer Type-R

also might want to try checking the bat? pretty simple answer, but you never know. Sounds like it's getting power, just not enough?
"Damn, my girl got snatched..."
"Kick his ass dude!"
"Nah man... it was Patrick bro"
"Awww shit... leave it alone, that fucker will kill you"
"I didn't know Jesus went to this school"
"Nah dude... that guy right there, that's Patrick. But they are easily confused"
Old 08-14-2007, 05:51 PM
Thread TERRORIST

checked the fusebox under the hood. 100%, no problems.

I will admit the battery IS in shitty shape right now. The battery charger is screaming obscenities at me because its having to pump to many amps to the battery...but it was charging for a good 30 minutes and we tried it again. Starts off strong with that turning over then eveuntually slows down as the battery drains. What is tripping me out is that short-short-long pattern to it while I'm starting. That wasn't there before I changed out the cap and rotor, but it also wasn't getting any spark before..and I don't know what I could've fucked up.

"They were crying when their sons left, God is wearing black. Hes gone so far to find no hope, hes never coming back. They were crying when their sons left, all young men must go. Hes come so far to find the truth hes never going home."

Old 08-14-2007, 05:53 PM
Bewbie Ricer Type-R

best bet I can say is try jumping it with a strong car. that way you can rule out the battery.
"Damn, my girl got snatched..."
"Kick his ass dude!"
"Nah man... it was Patrick bro"
"Awww shit... leave it alone, that fucker will kill you"
"I didn't know Jesus went to this school"
"Nah dude... that guy right there, that's Patrick. But they are easily confused"
Old 08-14-2007, 05:53 PM
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

push start that bitch idk.

are the injectors sending fuel?
Old 08-14-2007, 05:58 PM
Thread TERRORIST

Originally Posted by Jordan T
push start that bitch idk.

are the injectors sending fuel?
Dunno, they WERE, this car just all of a sudden wouldn't start one day. I saw that fuel was coming from the main line and haven't gotten around to yanking them out. Think I should?

Old 08-14-2007, 06:04 PM
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

yes check it out its quick and easy
Old 08-14-2007, 06:05 PM
Thread TERRORIST

Originally Posted by Jordan T
yes check it out its quick and easy
Ahh, Nissan made their injectors easy to get to? That is good news. I'll check 'em out and post up what I find.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:08 PM
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

yeah if its the ka (which it should be) they will be chillin right up top.