General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

88 5.0 info

Old 07-22-2007, 03:02 PM
need help!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 5.0 info

so im looking at a 88 mustang 5.0. i have a 89 s13 at the time. may keep it or sell it. im just asking for some info. how good are these cars. it has a few mods headers x-pipe no cats. 3 1/2' flowmaters. injectors 11' wide rear tires. all new clutch kit. throttle body. msd ignition. and some other crap i forget. is this worth the 1500 cash the guy will take
Old 07-22-2007, 03:06 PM
Turn 7 at Sebring

1500.00 sounds reasonable if the car runs good.
you will probably get better info in the ford forum.
I will keep it here for now.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:38 PM
the base production unit

1500? as long as the car does not need body work you are getting a hell of a deal. one in good condition with less than 130k miles will still go for $4k or more easily
Old 07-22-2007, 05:55 PM
Rick Rollin

yup... what he said...1500 is a great deal, wish I found that

I Rick Roll in your sleep
Old 07-22-2007, 06:03 PM
Thread TERRORIST

Originally Posted by mj008
so im looking at a 88 mustang 5.0. i have a 89 s13 at the time. may keep it or sell it. im just asking for some info. how good are these cars. it has a few mods headers x-pipe no cats. 3 1/2' flowmaters. injectors 11' wide rear tires. all new clutch kit. throttle body. msd ignition. and some other crap i forget. is this worth the 1500 cash the guy will take
11 inch wide rear tires? Are you sure about that? I believe the Foxbody mustang has to be mini-tubbed to run 11 inch wide rear tires. Check that.

But, provided it runs decent and isn't in need of a whole lotta serious bodywork yes, its definatly worth that. Remember coupes tend to sell for a bit more than hatchbacks.

"They were crying when their sons left, God is wearing black. Hes gone so far to find no hope, hes never coming back. They were crying when their sons left, all young men must go. Hes come so far to find the truth hes never going home."

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 05:54 PM
need help!!!

thanks all. yea i was lifted last night has 10"s on the rear. i took a look at it today agin but he guy wasnt home but the chasis has no rust what so ever. he just recently cleaned up the body. like i said its still in primer stage. no rust anyyy where. the tires have like 80% tread left. brand new brakes. th guy said he had big plans for the car but just ran out of time and just had his 2nd kid so proly money also. hes asking 1800 but its been sitting there with the sign for atleast 9 months now. my boy asked him if he would take 15 cash he said yeah. and that was like 6 months ago so i can proly jew him down some more. il try to get some pics tomaro
Old 07-24-2007, 07:54 AM

I just bought a real beater for $2000

1988 Mustang LX 5.0 5 spd

It had a dent in the front fender, the marker light lense was gone, it had aftermarket rims that were a bit used, but had good rubber, the A/c doesn't work, it was missing a few interior pieces, the heater was bypassed, so it probably needs a heater core, there are a few cigarette burns on the interior, it needs paint, the spoiler was cracked and gouged, It has mis-matched gauges (some white, some black), The window tint is shot, the stereo is working, but it's an abortion, there is no headliner and it has an exhaust leak.

So your's sounds pretty damn good for $1500.

I did the clutch right away, then picked up a set of "Pony" rims that I found on Craig's List for $320. That's a fair deal for the four rims with three center caps, but I also got four brand new tires and a set of tail lights in the deal.
I also found a place called Blue Oval Corral (http://blueoval.org/), They sell new and used parts for Mustangs. So I picked up a corner marker light that needed to be replaced for $5.I found a compressor from an online forum member on a different forum. The compressor cost me a total of $28 because I had to pay for shipping. I picked up a barely used clutch from a guy in Tampa (a fellow Cobra owner). He was nice enough to donate to cause. Then I got some refrigerant to recharge the A/C ( I hope it doesn't leak!), some oil, a filter, new plugs, a distributor cap, rotor and some spray fragrance.
Took a trip to the LDQ boneyard. Here I found a replacement gauge cluster, the headliner trim, the hatch area trim and a set of chrome door handle cups for $38.56.
I ordered a new H-pipe and cat-back exhaust from Summit. It's the Summit brand off road H-pipe and the Summit cat-back deal. $299.85 shipped for everything!
I purchased a new flasher for $2.55 from the local auto parts store, but it requires removal of the fuse panel for installation. I wanted to do that when I got home, but I stopped at Blue Oval Performance and got a replacement fender, spoiler, rear shock access covers and underside hatch panel for $100!. Then I stopped at Maaco, just to see their work and get an idea on pricing. Well, they were a little slow on work, so the guy gave me a killer deal. Paint $250, acid etch and primer $150, clear coat $100 and nine hours of labor at $50/hour. They will take out all of the door dings, install the fender and spoiler that I purchased, strip it down to metal and reshoot it. With government fees and taxes, it came out to $1079. Not too shabby. They had a 1992 Mustang GT there and it had just been painted. it came out excellent. So I am very excited to see the Disgustang get transformed. I really wanted to wait until I was done with all of the mechanical stuff, but I guess I'll just have to be careful.
The exhaust should hit my driveway tomorrow (7/25/07).

Last edited by Lyonmt; 07-24-2007 at 07:58 AM.