Tampa Racing

Tampa Racing (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/)
-   General Car Chat (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/general-car-chat/)
-   -   title (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/general-car-chat/397537-title.html)

mj008 05-29-2007 11:40 AM

title

is there a way i can get a hold of a title if i lost it...n it wasnt signed over to my name yet?

JP Money 05-29-2007 11:51 AM

No the person who was going to sign it over to you has to get a copy. What's with people doing this as of late? Two threads within a couple of days of each other.

K20A2 05-29-2007 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by JP Money (Post 4225599)
No the person who was going to sign it over to you has to get a copy. What's with people doing this as of late? Two threads within a couple of days of each other.

I know a lot of kids do it where the buyer puts up 50% or more up front and takes the car and the seller keeps the title until the buyer pays off.its a good way to do business cause the buyer has to pay you off eventually.if they stop payment one call to the police about your car being stolen and a friend seeing it in a certain area gets them screwed.

I'd never do it like that though.if you can't afford to buy a car all at once,you don't need it.

95gainfla 05-30-2007 05:54 PM

thats why I held onto the title in my situation. I did the guy a favor and took payments...except i lost the title in the few monthes process.

J-SPEC J 05-30-2007 08:25 PM

Everyone there is a totally legal way to do this just for future reference. You go to the dmv and have them put a lean on the title. What this does is the car still legaly belongs to the seller. The buyer can still apply for a new title if it is lost and get it insured properly. The buyer can not sell the car untill the lean is met. I know we are all some sketchy mother fu$kers but c'mon.

Graves 05-30-2007 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by J-SPEC J (Post 4230561)
Everyone there is a totally legal way to do this just for future reference. You go to the dmv and have them put a lean on the title. What this does is the car still legaly belongs to the seller. The buyer can still apply for a new title if it is lost and get it insured properly. The buyer can not sell the car untill the lean is met. I know we are all some sketchy mother fu$kers but c'mon.

Got any proof of that? I mean it sounds like total b.s. If it were the case you could do it to anyone and their brother for shits and giggles.

JP Money 05-31-2007 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Graves (Post 4230582)
Got any proof of that? I mean it sounds like total b.s. If it were the case you could do it to anyone and their brother for shits and giggles.

That's how financial institutions do it. No BS on that. I.e. The title for my S2000 is in MY name, but there is a few lines below that for lein info. Its on every title. Mine just happens to be filled in with info on my credit union I went through for the loan. My dad's title for his SUV just has his info on it b/c he owns it outright, so the info for the lein is blank.

Notladstyle 05-31-2007 06:23 AM

yep. once the lien is on it, you cannot transfer the title to another person. The purchasing party must sign the lien before its in place. This usually happens at the point of sale

95gainfla 05-31-2007 06:26 AM

well i wish i knew this sooner. :lol:

senor honda 06-01-2007 07:10 AM

If the title was in your name and was not legally passed through Tallahassee, just apply for a duplicate title, sent to your address.
State of Fl still has that car still in your name.

This was not free legal advice.-Bob