General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

prices

Old 05-29-2007, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb prices

ok so i am going to sue and report the guy who took my engine out and he was supposed to put it in but did not.... he says that for taking out a motor he charges 500 dollars i wanted to see how much these local shops charge for just taking out a motor... a d15b1....let me know
Old 05-29-2007, 11:56 AM
Offset-----Less is MORE!!

You should ask this question in the TR Shops forums...
Old 05-29-2007, 12:01 PM

yea i tried but there isnt a general forum for the shops.... i would have to post by shop right
Old 05-29-2007, 12:15 PM
OH LAWD JESUS ITS A FIRE!

there is a general shop forum.if you click on shop forums and go to the bottom of the list of shops there's a forum down there.at least their used to be...

and to me 500$ sounds about right for taking a whole motor out.I mean the shop I use charged me 27$ in labor to replace 2 fuses under the dash.

you should've known what you were getting into before you had him/them work on your car.

-Winston Churchill
Old 05-29-2007, 12:45 PM

dude to just take a motor out??? thats pricey i mean he worked on it for an hour.... and i thought he was a good mechanic but he charged me nearly 900 to take the motor out and swap in another one and then took two months to do the job, once that happened i said i will need some money back and he only gave me 300.... now you tell me would have i known that would i have gone to him? nooooo
Old 05-29-2007, 01:10 PM
OH LAWD JESUS ITS A FIRE!

Originally Posted by MASTERSH/B91
dude to just take a motor out??? thats pricey i mean he worked on it for an hour.... and i thought he was a good mechanic but he charged me nearly 900 to take the motor out and swap in another one and then took two months to do the job, once that happened i said i will need some money back and he only gave me 300.... now you tell me would have i known that would i have gone to him? nooooo
you seem to think taking a motor out is easy work.there's a lot involved to take it out and to swap in another one.900$ is cheap to swap a motor in.so you basically got charged 600$ to swap in a motor.that's a really good price for the amount of work.even though it is a honda its still a good amount of work.

if you take him to court you won't get anywhere unless you have documentation of the work,how much you paid him,and if he had a promised/estimated finish date.and even then its a long shot.

in the future check out lht,durdan prefab,2nr werks,driven concepts or one of the other widely known shops in the area.

-Winston Churchill
Old 05-29-2007, 05:41 PM
gadget man

Originally Posted by Matt M.
you seem to think taking a motor out is easy work.there's a lot involved to take it out and to swap in another one.900$ is cheap to swap a motor in.so you basically got charged 600$ to swap in a motor.that's a really good price for the amount of work.even though it is a honda its still a good amount of work.

With the right tools and a hoist it takes about 3 hours for 2 people to pull a honda motor. It's a hand full of plugs, 2 bolts on the exhaust down pipe, 3 or 4 bolts to pull the motor mount bolts, speedo/clutch cable, and pop out 2 axles. $500-700 for labor on a pull and replace would be fair, but just to pull $300 maybe $400 max any more and it's a screw job. Given that it took more than just a few days the entire swap shouldn't be more than $500, once it hit the 1 month mark the price should have dropped $100 for every week after that.

Motor swap....$900
2 months getting jerked around....-$300
Knowing it's easy enough to do in your driveway in a day........priceless.
U.S.S.A Crew Member #001

Old 05-29-2007, 06:57 PM
VOD
Field Rep

i paid $600 for my swap.. but i know a few guys on here that would have done it for $150-200
Old 05-29-2007, 06:57 PM

COULDNJT AGREE WITH YOU MORE.... MATT M. ITS WAS 900 TO PULL THE MOTOR OUT... THAT IS WAYYYYYYYY TO PRICEY...
Originally Posted by kender
With the right tools and a hoist it takes about 3 hours for 2 people to pull a honda motor. It's a hand full of plugs, 2 bolts on the exhaust down pipe, 3 or 4 bolts to pull the motor mount bolts, speedo/clutch cable, and pop out 2 axles. $500-700 for labor on a pull and replace would be fair, but just to pull $300 maybe $400 max any more and it's a screw job. Given that it took more than just a few days the entire swap shouldn't be more than $500, once it hit the 1 month mark the price should have dropped $100 for every week after that.

Motor swap....$900
2 months getting jerked around....-$300
Knowing it's easy enough to do in your driveway in a day........priceless.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:52 AM
formerly 'RiceRocket'

I paid $1385 to have the engine on my 1953 Cadillac Pulled, and put back in. This was just the labor for the R&R ONLY. This was at Engine Lab, which is a reputable shop.

Hard to compare a 1953 Cadillac V8 to a Honda 4cyl...but it gives you something to go by.

Charles

1953 Cadillac Coupe De Ville (Fuel Injected, Drive-by-wire, DoD)
2009 Pontiac G8 GT (6.0l V8 Sleeper)
2011 Toyota Sequoia Sport 4x4 (Tow Rig)
My Blog: www.HotRodCaddy.com