General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

I'm not really a car modder

Old 03-12-2007, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I'm not really a car modder

...as I stated, I'm not really a car modder but I'd like to get my car a little better than what it is now, for not too much money. I have a 1992 Eclipse, its all basically stock, here's what I have done with it:
- took off air filter casing for better air flow
- will routinely add fuel injector cleaner and/or octane booster
- just installed new Iridium spark plugs today

my end goal is obtaining good acceleration without having to buy turbo kits and other expensive equipment. Any recommendations? And like I said, I'm not a hardcore modder so I don't know all the terminology, I can do 1337 5p3ak, but when it comes to car terms, you gotta dumb it down for me.

thanks for any suggestions

pls no flamers
Old 03-12-2007, 08:52 PM
That ginger...

Intake, Header, and exhaust
That will get you going and will get you to want more
If it is a 5-spd, learn the driver-mod(learn to shift fast and not miss the 1-2 shift)
Old 03-12-2007, 09:01 PM
Bolt-On 2v GT

1 word: Tornado

"Does this look like a piece of crap to you? Like them spinnin' tires do you?"
Old 03-12-2007, 09:06 PM
King of Ricers

in the long run, removing the air filter case or unrestricting it will allow more dirt to bypass the air filter, resulting in wear more on the engine, eventually hurting compression, and acceleration.

using injector cleaners more than needed will erode seals as the combustion of certain chemicals become corrosive.

iridium spark plugs are more hype than anything else. same with massive 110% platinum plugs as well.

Keep your car as close to the factory spec as possible and it will run the longest and the strongest that it can without serious modding.

Last edited by Notladstyle; 03-12-2007 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:23 PM
Pump Gas Pimps

Originally Posted by myltwon
1 word: Tornado
yea thats probably your best mod for the money... I put 3 of them in my intake and 1 in each of my exhaust tips, and I probably gained 40-50hp!
Old 03-12-2007, 09:25 PM
Keep it REAL

Originally Posted by NoTLaDStyle
in the long run, removing the air filter case or unrestricting it will allow more dirt to bypass the air filter, resulting in wear more on the engine, eventually hurting compression, and acceleration.

using injector cleaners more than needed will erode seals as the combustion of certain chemicals become corrosive.

iridium spark plugs are more hype than anything else. same with massive 110% platinum plugs as well.

Keep your car as close to the factory spec as possible and it will run the longest and the strongest that it can without serious modding.
Yes sir. Do a full tune up on the car and run OEM parts and it should run like a champ. Is it the 1.8L or the 2.0L?

Mazda 2 Forums

R.I.P. Pablo 'Fathead' Garcia - Love you man! See you on the other side!
R.I.P. Kevin 'Slo_Si' Gonzalez - You will be missed!
Old 03-12-2007, 09:33 PM
No

you could always get an electric supercharger.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:36 PM
Race Photographer

serious answers only for once for fucks sake.

"I am and what I do are not a taxable commodity for you to use and abuse" - Me

This is my fuck the government movement

Old 03-12-2007, 10:10 PM
15 seconds EXHILARATION

Check out the Mitsubishi Tech forum for more specific advice on your car. Another resource is Database Error .

If you fully removed the air filter canister and just clamped down on the base of the air filter, you probably aren't getting as good of a seal and you could get more dirt through the intake like notladstyle suggested. Take your old aircan and cut most of it away. The metal ring at the base where you used to clamp it down should be all that remains- cut the rest of the can off. Put that metal ring back on over the filter and clamp down on it and you're back to the factory seal with less restriction on the filter. It would be a good idea to upgrade to a K&N cone filter that fits the stock baseplate (the thing you clamp the filter down onto, that bolts to the mass air flow meter).

Your choices in mods will be different if you have a 1.8 or a 2.0. If you don't know, look at the VIN plate in the engine bay on the firewall (right under the windshield). It should say "4G63" on it somewhere if you have the 2.0 DOHC (dual overhead cam) engine and "4G37" if you have the SOHC 1.8. Common upgrades for the 2.0 are the standard intake, header (believe Pacesetter makes one), exhaust route. The 1.8 has even less support than the 2.0 non-turbo but there are a few cheap and easy things you can do to bump the power a bit.

Anyway, go check out the Mitsubishi Tech forum and the Non-Turbo tech forum on Dsmtuners. Read and search as much as you can and ask questions if you need clarification on what you read. And don't mind the guys posting here with the joke responses, just find the good information posted in between and go with it.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:34 PM
Pastafarian FOR LIFE!!!!!

+1 on the Tornato and the Turbonator, Iv got both and I picked up at least 50hp in my V8