General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Carbon hoods

Old 12-08-2006, 06:18 PM
NO MORE WRX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon hoods

Thinking about a carbon fiber hood, how does it hold up in florida sun? How do you protect the clearcoat? Have a couple of friends with peeling clear, why is that?
Old 12-09-2006, 09:29 AM
Ru Noises...

Originally Posted by XEventHorizonX
It's excellent. Because it's carbon fiber, it's the strongest material on the planet, resistant to liquid magma. Also you get 10hp from putting it on, because it weighs less than your factory hood. And you get another 5 additional horsepower because it doesn't absorb heat like a factory hood, unless you have VTEC, which you don't, so no worries. Sucks that you don't have a VTEC car though. Get a '00 Civic Si Coupe with a B16 engine. With that and a carbon fiber hood, it's easy 12s.

wierd post
Old 12-09-2006, 10:13 AM
The Big Diehl

Just Take Care Of It, Wax It Regulary And It Should Be Good
Old 12-09-2006, 10:57 AM
Mark G

It's excellent. Because it's carbon fiber, it's the strongest material on the planet, resistant to liquid magma. Also you get 10hp from putting it on, because it weighs less than your factory hood. And you get another 5 additional horsepower because it doesn't absorb heat like a factory hood, unless you have VTEC, which you don't, so no worries. Sucks that you don't have a VTEC car though. Get a '00 Civic Si Coupe with a B16 engine. With that and a carbon fiber hood, it's easy 12s.
They run high 12's from the factory with a good driver... I thought you of all people would know that. Now add the CF hood and you're aiming at 11's
Old 12-09-2006, 06:16 PM
7M 2JZ bird in pear tree

This is kinda getting old. He asked a genuine question and still gets the same rediculous sarcasm that Event Horizon puts in every thread now.

4G63.

ASE: Brakes
Yea..that very well could have been the most retarded idea I've ever heard, but .. do it anyway. -TheShow50h
Old 12-09-2006, 06:24 PM
Ink
Changes names a lot.

event horizon = the babiest baby dick...but to answer your question carbon hoods are good performance adders if their vented, they release more hot air and weigh about 30 lbs less than factory (correct me if im wrong), and if you maintain it regularly like orion said then you shouldnt have a problem..
Old 12-10-2006, 06:12 AM
Im as loyal as my options

you must no life to write up that whole answer to a good question.

to answer your question as long as you keep it waxed every couple months you will be fine and try to keep it out of the sun as much as posiable. Chances are your friends hoods are peeling becauce of a cheap hood. If you do purchase a cheap hood i would suggest taking it to a body shop and having them throw a coat or two of clear on there for you.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:18 AM
NO MORE WRX

It's nice to see some people stick to the topic question and give good advice. Thank you.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by 95tegra
event horizon = the babiest baby dick...but to answer your question carbon hoods are good performance adders if their vented, they release more hot air and weigh about 30 lbs less than factory (correct me if im wrong), and if you maintain it regularly like orion said then you shouldnt have a problem..
I don't know about 30lbs, my friend had one on his wrx, after 3 years all the clearcoat was gone, and he told me he was going to put the stock one back on, because the CF only saved like 5lbs.

He may be wrong, but I don't know, do a little research on how much the stock wrx hood weighs, then look for a CF ones weight, if its about the same, I woudn't waste the money.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:35 AM
dsm fever

i had a cf hood and about a year later it faded