General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Automatic to a manual swap

Old 11-08-2006, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic to a manual swap

sooner or later im gonna have to be getting rid of my stock 4l60e- since even when built they are only good reliably up to 500whp-

so my choices are either a 4l80e swap (gawd damn expensive)

th400- easiest, simplest, strong as hell wont break it with the 4.3L

or a Tremec T56 6-speed- what im doing is pretty unique and i thought i would keep with that theme-

how bad is a manual swap into a car that came with an automatic?
Old 11-09-2006, 01:16 PM

Please dont do it to yourself.. sell you car and buy a manual one or just pay to have it done..Its a pain in the ass

Shifter, shift plate, linkage tranny,ecu,mounts, clutch, new pedals, misc nuts/bolts= a big hassle..
Replace the Death Penalty with some Saw II type environment, and I'll vote for it..
Old 11-09-2006, 04:35 PM
Motha Fawking Baby Maker

I did the swap on a 4 door civic...it was easy!
Old 11-09-2006, 04:54 PM
Private Parts Thug Lyfe

certain cars are very easy, and some seem impossible. my MR2 has the holes for the clutch pedal and clutch master already there. well not the holes, but like the outline of them and the firewall padding is cutout for it.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:42 PM
is doing your girlfriend

Not sure if the blazers were available with a manual but i know the S-10s were. you would just need parts from a S-10 with the manual tranny.

Since almost the same vehicle was available with a manual it should not be that hard, like mentioned above you should have a place to mount the clutch, and have some type of access for a shifter already there..

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it
Old 12-07-2006, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Get the parts in advance.

I would buy from a junkyard, all parts attached to the same-type transmission in a same-type car.

I would make cardboard templates measuring where the holes
are for pedal and shifter.

With the new trans, buy the flywheel/pressure plate/disc and a new pilot bushing.

If you are in the Tampa Bay "area" and need a hand, pm me.
I might be interested, depending on my schedule.-Bob

Keystone Facebook ...click: "Keystone Motor Car Club"

Port Richey Rod Run at Coast Buick GMC Coming May 25 2024
https://carstoshow.com/registerevent.aspx?eventid=99114

50's Diner US19.... A Florida Attraction.
1730 US-19, Holiday Fl 34691 click: https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/t...-racing.html CHRA sanctioned cruise-in.
Cruise-In; Free; Every Saturday 5-8PM plus 10% off the whole menu to cruisers

All Cars Every 2nd Saturday Free Breakfast: Since 2015 and more. click: https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/e...ast-tampa.html

Tampa Racing.com covers the Tampa car scene and supports many fund raisers, worthy causes and events that enrich our community. We hope you enjoy them all.
What do I do? ---- on-site *Aftermarket* spring/suspension installations --- on-site impact wrenching---street lowering with your own stock springs...........True Bi-xenon HID projector headlight conversions........ Much more at Bob's Garage!
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/b...ontact-us.html
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/b...e-senor-honda/

Old 12-07-2006, 11:15 AM
Pastafarian FOR LIFE!!!!!

his model blazer never came in a 5spd, so it will all custom. The 4.3 you do have is basicly a 5.7 with 2 cyl cut off so you should be able to use the LT1 6speed tranny and clutch setup from a 93-97 F-body. clutch lines will have to be custom, you should be able to use the 95-04 4cyl s10 clutch pedal assm. for your truck.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:28 PM
is doing your girlfriend

Originally Posted by 2kSnakeater
his model blazer never came in a 5spd, so it will all custom. The 4.3 you do have is basicly a 5.7 with 2 cyl cut off so you should be able to use the LT1 6speed tranny and clutch setup from a 93-97 F-body. clutch lines will have to be custom, you should be able to use the 95-04 4cyl s10 clutch pedal assm. for your truck.
Did the S-10 in the same year as his blazer come in 5/6 speed? If so how much of the firewall/tunnel do they share?

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it
Old 12-08-2006, 08:43 AM
Pastafarian FOR LIFE!!!!!

Originally Posted by Duceanahalf
Did the S-10 in the same year as his blazer come in 5/6 speed? If so how much of the firewall/tunnel do they share?

yes but only the 4cyl came with 5spd, you couldnt order a V6 without the auto tranny.