General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Road Course in Lakeland

Old 09-09-2006, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Course in Lakeland

I have a couple of friends that are looking at some land near lakeland. They are thinking about building about a mile track. Not looking to make a lot of money. Just want some place to run their cars. Just curious if this would go over well here. Thinking about making it open to the public. Any thoughts??
Old 09-09-2006, 12:13 PM
dan
Get the fuck off my lawn

If you can find some decent land near I-4 or off the Polk Parkway (570) it will go over decently, being it's smack dab in the middle of orlando/bay area. if you keep some good turns in it, and make the track wide enough, you will also attract alot of the drifters to have events as well. The only downside is there is alot of growth out here, so if you do happen to find a place not near any houses (sound carries as well so it will be hell getting licensing and zoning approvals), that land around you could be built up in a years time. I'd say try to find some land near the landfill near winterhaven off the parkway, or out near the airport in lakeland, also off the parkway, or the west side of lakeland on i-4 which is mostly industrial.

good luck on that.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:23 PM
Chuck aka Woody

sound's good but it'll never happen!
my uncle and several others have been trying to open a new track around here for a long time, but the comissioners just wont hear of it! not just polk, but a few other counties too! some of the people trying it had big big bucks backing them up too, but no matter what they did it just couldnt happen. the comissioners said that the hooters track was the last motor sports type place to be open around here. they say tracks are bad for the comunity n stuff. and yep, they're full of poop!, but what can we do? lol

NO EXCUSES for my lil FWD! Cmon RWD's n AWD's, lets DIG!

STEISS RACING all the way
HONDA ENGINES from oem to EXTREEM

www.myspace.com/streetracin_cwby

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1433200141
Old 09-09-2006, 01:12 PM
Sexist

A mile track aint very big. If you want a place to run your cars fast you should join SAFE Motorsports - More track for less money! Sebring - Homestead - Moroso (experienced) or Chin MotorSports - More Tracks, More Track Time! (rookies)

Or you could go to Gainesville and use their short road course. It's probably about a mile, different configurations, very affordable.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:05 PM
OH SNAP!

The tracks my be affordable. but id spend 30-40 in gas just getting to gainesville. And 30-40 on the way back. Something like that is to far away for it to be worth the trouble. we need something closer.
Driving definitions: Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:33 PM

Build it........& they will come!!
I would make it @ least a monthly date
Old 09-09-2006, 04:35 PM
Sexist

Originally Posted by CrypticApathy
The tracks my be affordable. but id spend 30-40 in gas just getting to gainesville. And 30-40 on the way back. Something like that is to far away for it to be worth the trouble. we need something closer.
I hear ya, but that's trackin' these days. Hillsborough county chased away all the short tracks years ago. Best bet would be to look into something like the fairgrounds or something similar. No matter how you slice it it's gonna cost you. It's a shame. This country is more into sports that require steroids as fuel rather than gasoline.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

As part of a feasability study, it might help to find out the mood of
county rulers, before buying something that a person can't get "permission" to use.

Might be good to check the legal angles/loop holes, as to how you can make it open to the public.

If they can have smoking in restaurants when the law says they cannot,
I'm sure a good lawyer knows how to wiggle through the legal mine field to build/use a race track.

Keystone Facebook ...click: "Keystone Motor Car Club"

Port Richey Rod Run at Coast Buick GMC Coming May 25 2024
https://carstoshow.com/registerevent.aspx?eventid=99114

50's Diner US19.... A Florida Attraction.
1730 US-19, Holiday Fl 34691 click: https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/t...-racing.html CHRA sanctioned cruise-in.
Cruise-In; Free; Every Saturday 5-8PM plus 10% off the whole menu to cruisers

All Cars Every 2nd Saturday Free Breakfast: Since 2015 and more. click: https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/e...ast-tampa.html

Tampa Racing.com covers the Tampa car scene and supports many fund raisers, worthy causes and events that enrich our community. We hope you enjoy them all.
What do I do? ---- on-site *Aftermarket* spring/suspension installations --- on-site impact wrenching---street lowering with your own stock springs...........True Bi-xenon HID projector headlight conversions........ Much more at Bob's Garage!
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/b...ontact-us.html
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/b...e-senor-honda/

Old 09-10-2006, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck 98 RT/10
A mile track aint very big. If you want a place to run your cars fast you should join SAFE Motorsports - More track for less money! Sebring - Homestead - Moroso (experienced) or Chin MotorSports - More Tracks, More Track Time! (rookies)

Or you could go to Gainesville and use their short road course. It's probably about a mile, different configurations, very affordable.
+1 for Chin.

I can honeslty say I haven't had more fun in my life with my clothes on than when I ran my M3 around Sebring or when I got a ride around in my instructor's race-prepped Porsche.

The only problem with Chin is the events fill up so damn fast, but now I know why

I'd be going Oct 7th or 8th but the novice group filled up even before the last event they had in August

Last edited by djben; 09-10-2006 at 12:31 AM.