General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

New diesel land speed record: 328 mph

Old 08-25-2006, 02:44 AM
! Ne shab'rud'ni !

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New diesel land speed record: 328 mph

Talk about a fun day at the track...

New diesel land speed record: 328 mph - Yahoo! News

By BROCK VERGAKIS, Associated Press Writer
Wed Aug 23, 1:37 PM ET

SALT LAKE CITY - A British pilot broke a land-speed record for driving with a diesel engine, racing across the Bonneville Salt Flats at more than 325 mph.

Andy Green broke the supercharged diesel streamliner world record by more than 90 mph by reaching an average land speed Tuesday of 328.767 mph. The old record was 235.756 mph, set by Virgil Snyder on the Bonneville Salt Flats in 1973.

"It's absolutely astonishing what we've achieved today," Green said by telephone from the salt flats, about 90 miles west of Salt Lake City.

The attempt was observed by the FIA, the international governing body of racing. FIA rules require that two passes be made within an hour to arrive at an average speed. Green's first run was clocked at 324.265 mph and his return run at 333.364 mph, said David Petrali, FIA's representative at the 11-mile track.

Green drove a vehicle powered by two diesel engines that have a combined total of 1,500 horsepower. Each is a 4-cylinder, 4.4-liter engine used commercially as a backhoe loader.

Green said he used only about 1,200 horsepower because the vehicle couldn't handle any more than that. The tires on the car are designed to go no faster than 350 mph, but Green's crew said the car is capable of going 400 mph.

The record will likely become official when a FIA board meets next month. Green said he might try to break his own record this week.

Green also set a supersonic world land speed record in 1997 at 763.035 mph using a jet engine.

___

by http://www.flickr.com/people/8341770@N07/, on Flickr
TR "Old Skool EF" Member #017 chi town brat TR "eg6" crew #6

I see people out there spending money on the car to improve it … If you spend half that effort just working on your driving skills, making you and the car work together as a team, then you’ll go faster – period. To make the car go a second faster on the track takes a lot more energy and money than making yourself drive it one second faster.
the late Tom Thrash SCCA Solo E Production
Old 08-25-2006, 02:59 AM
feels good to be gangsta

jesus can you imagine the ground passing you at 760mph?

Originally Posted by Xynapse
If a GOP scumbag takes that seat it's war.
Originally Posted by Xynapse
wtf a GOP candidate wins in one of the most liberal states in America...
Need proof Xynapse has absolutely no idea what the fuck he is talking about?

Just click here, and be "Highly Enlightened".
Old 08-25-2006, 03:08 AM
Please hold...

BADASS! i want to build a salt-flats car when im around 50 and see how fast i can go
Old 08-25-2006, 06:52 AM
aspiring luder

my luck there would be like...a tick on the track and throw me off course and die...

thats damn fast though