General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Who killed the electric car?

Old 07-02-2006, 08:20 AM
Haul'n the Family

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who killed the electric car?

There is a new documentary coming out the chronicles the rise and demise of GM's EV1 electric car. A lot of it is probably liberal propaganda I imagine...but I heard an interview with the director on NPR radio on Friday about it. He says General Motors' revolutionary designed, high way capable EV1 was way ahead of its time when introduced in 1996. The leased cars were recalled after 5 years and all destroyed! The finger points to the oil industry, lobbyists, GM head honchos, a lack of marketing, and just being the right car at the wrong time. GM snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. Could have been interesting had they continued their billion dollar research and developement with the EV1.
The trailer can be seen here:
www.whokilledtheelectriccarmovie.com

Whatever you think about electric cars or hybrids, still might be an interesting movie about the auto industry and how it is influenced.

GM EV1 Electric Vehicle

crushed EV1s:

Old 07-02-2006, 08:51 AM
7M 2JZ bird in pear tree

Too much liability when shit broke. Thats why they were only leased and not sold.

ASE: Brakes
Yea..that very well could have been the most retarded idea I've ever heard, but .. do it anyway. -TheShow50h
Old 07-02-2006, 09:09 AM
Banned

Plus how much does it cost to replace those batteries?
Old 07-02-2006, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Graves
Plus how much does it cost to replace those batteries?
you recharge them. but i would guess less than a new gas motor.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:41 AM
E & I Certified

if i had one ill be damned sure they never found it to take it back . lol. the ev1 would be worth a nice penny 20 years from now . my friends mother helped design part of that car

wonder if leno has one
Old 07-02-2006, 12:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 74javelin
you recharge them. but i would guess less than a new gas motor.
No they only last for so long before you have to replace them. Thus the reason two companies I deal with are not buying any more hybrid Escapes from us.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:43 PM

the big prolem that car had was low power motor for a mid size car didn't get the right press it was ugly (people don't want a car the looks eletric) problems with build quality problems with price(you could buy a fully loaded caddy for the price of the car ) and all the car mags hated.....

being a guy that beleves that we're being screwd on gas prices and the govermant is lettiing it happen and makeing to hard of other feuls to take hold (gess that makes me a liberal ) .. i don't think it was the goverment tha tkilled that car just a crappy car the killed it
Old 07-03-2006, 06:45 AM
OUCH!!!

I've said it many times and I'll say it again... "The mass population isn't going to accept an 'alternative' vehicle until it's the BETTER alternative."
Old 07-04-2006, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by cosworth34677
the big prolem that car had was low power motor for a mid size car didn't get the right press it was ugly (people don't want a car the looks eletric) problems with build quality problems with price(you could buy a fully loaded caddy for the price of the car ) and all the car mags hated.....

being a guy that beleves that we're being screwd on gas prices and the govermant is lettiing it happen and makeing to hard of other feuls to take hold (gess that makes me a liberal ) .. i don't think it was the goverment tha tkilled that car just a crappy car the killed it
The EV1 could do a 15 second quarter mile. It was never sold to the public. It was lease only, and GM never let anyone buy out the lease.The reason it was killed was because it was a no win situation for the GM. With only 3 moving parts in the motor and practically no dealer maintenance other then brakes and wiper blades it was not something GM wanted in production.
I don't think I've ever read anything bad about the EV1 from anyone that drove one.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:40 PM
Haul'n the Family

Originally Posted by nailzs
The EV1 could do a 15 second quarter mile. It was never sold to the public. It was lease only, and GM never let anyone buy out the lease.The reason it was killed was because it was a no win situation for the GM. With only 3 moving parts in the motor and practically no dealer maintenance other then brakes and wiper blades it was not something GM wanted in production.
I don't think I've ever read anything bad about the EV1 from anyone that drove one.
The EV1 was generally regarded as a technological success. It was never offered for sale because it was still technically an experimental vehicle. They were recalled for "research." From what I understand. They were reportedly very reliable...and there still are several fan forums online for a car thats been off the market for quite awhile. As someone posted....now that all the cars are destroyed....the ones that somehow survived the axe, will be worth a fortune in the future. Lets just hope the research GM gleaned from the EV1 will one day give them the upper hand.
Leonard is right too.....the public will never embrace anything that isn't the better alternative.
Also, yes, the cell replacement would be very expensive. As hybrid owners will soon find out. Did you know that the total savings for a Toyota Prius owner after 5 years of ownership is only about $400 bucks. The cells need to be replaced 4-5 years at a cost of $4K to $5K dollars!