General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Car riding with no thermostat at all????

Old 06-25-2006, 02:59 PM
Obama made me Republican

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car riding with no thermostat at all????

ok now my girlfriend just bought a 92 corolla 4 dr 3 spd auto w/OD. now while flushing the coolant and such, i went to inspect the thermostat because the car is always at a little notch above the C on the engine temp meter and when i check the engine its fairly cool for driving around all day in the sun, i was checking to see if the thermostat might have been stuck open. came to find out there was NONE there. spoke to my cousin he said just replace the rubber seal add some sealant and just let the car run cool like it has been. what do you guys think.....
Old 06-25-2006, 03:48 PM
7M 2JZ bird in pear tree

Originally Posted by Kirk
it will be fine, just takes longer to heat up in the mornings.....
+1, the car doesnt even need a thermostat technically. It'll just always run cool and thus run rich. If your thermostat is any good, it'll be a fail-safe one meaning it'll just stay stuck open

Heck if you dont drive more than 5 minutes at a time, you dont even need the cooling system at all IIRC most 8 second and under cars dont even use one

ASE: Brakes
Yea..that very well could have been the most retarded idea I've ever heard, but .. do it anyway. -TheShow50h
Old 06-25-2006, 04:13 PM
Obama made me Republican

Originally Posted by Orion ZyGarian
+1, the car doesnt even need a thermostat technically. It'll just always run cool and thus run rich. If your thermostat is any good, it'll be a fail-safe one meaning it'll just stay stuck open

Heck if you dont drive more than 5 minutes at a time, you dont even need the cooling system at all IIRC most 8 second and under cars dont even use one

since it runs rich won't it get shitty gas mileage........
Old 06-25-2006, 04:31 PM
i'm a dong kae

not always good. the car is designed to run at an optimal temp. i would just replace the thermostat and be done with it
Old 06-25-2006, 04:52 PM
gadget man

Wihout a thermostat to regulate not just the temp, but the flow of coolant, the coolant will flow through the block faster than it should. This will cause the motor to not transfer enough heat to the coolant. Also the coolant won't spend enough time in the radiator, which will cause it not to cool off enough. Some cars can get away without one if the motor is running good, however, if anything goes wrong with the motor that raises the temp at all, it will quickly increase the temp and not be able to regulate it the way it's supposed to. It's a $10 part, it gives you NO performance gain, and will cause damage eventually. Go get one, even a low temp one, and put it in. This is one of those mods that falls into the category of "I heard a guy that got like 10hp from doing this, and I'm a ricer too, so I'll do it."
U.S.S.A Crew Member #001

Old 06-25-2006, 05:18 PM
PSSHHH x2

just put one in....when winter comes around, you will be happy you did, since your heater uses the coolant. my little sentra during winter time, below 65 or so takes 10-15 minutes to just come above the C...longer if its colder...and i tell you what..on a 40 or 30 degree day...thats the longest, shiver induced drives of my life. so like i said, if anything, put it back in for that fact...
Brocks megaphone
Spencercycle 10" swingarm
MPS auto shifter
Hays convertible clutch

Yea, that about sums it up...

Old 06-25-2006, 05:40 PM
Pastafarian FOR LIFE!!!!!

If it was am older V8 id say yeah fuck the thermostat, but because its a 4cyl your going to hate not having a thermostat in the winter, since a small engine is going to take a long time to warm up.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:45 PM
7M 2JZ bird in pear tree

Originally Posted by 2kSnakeater
If it was am older V8 id say yeah fuck the thermostat, but because its a 4cyl your going to hate not having a thermostat in the winter, since a small engine is going to take a long time to warm up.
Unless of course it has a spinny-woosh

My Supra never took ANY time to warm up

Originally Posted by lifeisviewtiful
since it runs rich won't it get shitty gas mileage........
Yes, which is just another reason why you should just put a t-stat it

ASE: Brakes
Yea..that very well could have been the most retarded idea I've ever heard, but .. do it anyway. -TheShow50h