General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

DOHC Timing Question

Old 06-16-2006, 09:26 PM
farfromügen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DOHC Timing Question

Stupid damn stupid cam gears are pissing me off. I've done it three times now and each time I'm one tooth off of perfect timing. As it sits with the exhaust cam dimple flush with head the intake cam is one tooth below it. So the intake ports would open and close a little bit later. Would this be too much overlap? Would it hurt performance or raise it? I just don't really feel like messing with them anymore tonight.

It's my car, VW 2.0 16v. But that really shouldn't matter. It's a question of timing, performance advantages and disadvantages, and being tired at the end of the night.

EDIT: they're 25 tooth gears so that would be 14.4 degrees difference

Der schnellste mann im langsamsten auto

Last edited by mrnicejetta; 06-16-2006 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:03 PM
farfromügen

I finally got the timing spot on. Monumental pain in the ass, though. Atleast on a Honda you only have to do the timing once, I get to do it twice (cam-cam chain & timing belt-cam). Stupid damn stupid 16 years of rust doesn't help much either.

Der schnellste mann im langsamsten auto
Old 06-17-2006, 06:31 AM
previously SLOWBOOST

Originally Posted by Mars_302
eh some hondas are dual belt as well. A z32 is huge pain in the ass to do with 4 cam sprockets plus the guide pulley, crank pulley, and a tensionor and some of the cams are spring loaded

unless you have access to a machine shop and can make a tool to hold all the gears in place to simplify that

FOR A WOUNDED MAN SHALL SAY TO HIS ASSAILANT
'IF I LIVE, I WILL KILL YOU. IF I DIE, YOU ARE FORGIVEN'
SUCH IS THE RULE OF HONOUR.