General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Mugen seatbelts?

Old 06-09-2006, 04:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mugen seatbelts?

what do you think? They look good and fit nice, stitching looks real good, like on my repelling harness, but they clash with my interior, might have to sell them, dunno yet... Anyone have a simular set? I don't even know if they are true Mugen cause I didn't find any other tags or labels, but as i said they look real good quality....

Old 06-09-2006, 05:02 AM

Depends if you bought them because they say Mugen on them, or you actually needed a belt superior to the stock ones.

I'm guessing you didnt need them in the first place if you dont like the color.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:05 AM
call me Gangsta boo

I don't like them on the stock seats. Are you going to swap them out later...?
Old 06-09-2006, 06:17 AM

not true mugen seatbelts... they go for cheap on ebay.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:19 AM
Ruhe in Frieden Pablo

You know it is dangerous to have the aftermarket harnesses on stock seats...
Old 06-09-2006, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by nismo
You know it is dangerous to have the aftermarket harnesses on stock seats...
Whys that?..And I'm not trying to be a smartass I'm just wondering cause I was going to get a harness for my Mustang..I thought aslong as you had them installed properly they were fine.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:00 AM
2.3L

Originally Posted by Teamcalloway03
Whys that?..And I'm not trying to be a smartass I'm just wondering cause I was going to get a harness for my Mustang..I thought aslong as you had them installed properly they were fine.

The back of the seats are not strong enough to support the load put on them in an accident. They can fail and if you have a harness bar that means your head is going straight into it. If you’re going to use harness it is best to have a roll bar/cage and an FIA approved seat (they have reinforced backs).
just because NASCAR does something does not mean it is the best way to do something..
Old 06-09-2006, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by s14 powered
The back of the seats are not strong enough to support the load put on them in an accident. They can fail and if you have a harness bar that means your head is going straight into it. If you’re going to use harness it is best to have a roll bar/cage and an FIA approved seat (they have reinforced backs).
That makes sense..Thanks for the info.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:08 AM
Ruhe in Frieden Pablo

Originally Posted by Teamcalloway03
Because racing seats are made for harnesses while your stock seat is made for your stock seatbelt. The stock seat is not made for that kind of stress. If you get in an accident and your harness is mounted to the back of your own seat, the back of the seat is probably going to travel in whatever direction you do, thus breaking the bolts of the seat, causing more damage and possibly more bodily harm than if you had the normal belt in. Also, there is more of a chance that if you get in an accident that the haness could not actually hold you in as well, because it doesn;t have the slots for the belt which stop it from traveling.

Yeah, this is a crappy picture, but basically, the racing seat has slots for the harness, and was made to handle all the extra stress; While the stock seat doesn't, and the belt can slip off the sides and can move around freely.

Whatever, it's your life. If you chose not to believe me (as I know some of you will) then that's fine.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:13 AM

Damn I'm glad I seen this post before I put a harness in my car..Good info guys