General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Roll Cage question

Old 04-16-2006, 11:36 AM
I’m bored entertain me.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roll Cage question

I am looking at running in a few events this year that depending on my speeds I will need either a 6 point roll bar or a cage. One of the events I would need a “New for 2006 - Current NHRA certified roll cage equivalents are acceptable.” Can a cage be bolt in and be NHRA certified or would it have to be welded in? My cars are mainly street cars, so I would prefer not to do weld in cages.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:43 PM
I’m bored entertain me.

Originally Posted by Mars_302
Where can you even weld on a Fiero?
Finding some place to weld inside a Fiero is easy. You are pretty much in a metal cage while in the car. The Fiero rated the same as Volvos in crash tests.

If bolt in cages are legal, I am going to see about having one done for the 240 and the Fiero. I want to run in the ECTA Speed Trials in North Carolina and some of the Open Road Races in Nevada (Silver State Classis and Nevada Open Road Challenge.)
Old 04-16-2006, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Call Ted. 352-588-9621. He builds cars that do 200 at Daytona. He can tie in the frame for protection as well as maximum advantage in cornering. You will need it for Nevada. He's in Pasco County.-Bob

If bolt in cages are legal, I am going to see about having one done for the 240 and the Fiero. I want to run in the ECTA Speed Trials in North Carolina and some of the Open Road Races in Nevada (Silver State Classis and Nevada Open Road Challenge.)[/QUOTE]

Keystone Facebook ...click: "Keystone Motor Car Club"

Port Richey Rod Run at Coast Buick GMC Coming May 25 2024
https://carstoshow.com/registerevent.aspx?eventid=99114

50's Diner US19.... A Florida Attraction.
1730 US-19, Holiday Fl 34691 click: https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/t...-racing.html CHRA sanctioned cruise-in.
Cruise-In; Free; Every Saturday 5-8PM plus 10% off the whole menu to cruisers

All Cars Every 2nd Saturday Free Breakfast: Since 2015 and more. click: https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/e...ast-tampa.html

Tampa Racing.com covers the Tampa car scene and supports many fund raisers, worthy causes and events that enrich our community. We hope you enjoy them all.
What do I do? ---- on-site *Aftermarket* spring/suspension installations --- on-site impact wrenching---street lowering with your own stock springs...........True Bi-xenon HID projector headlight conversions........ Much more at Bob's Garage!
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/b...ontact-us.html
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/b...e-senor-honda/

Old 04-16-2006, 08:18 PM

Another place you can go is Dave Pletchers racing chassis in St. Petersburg,FL he races late models. Sorry i don't have any numbers but maybe you can look him up on msn.com or something of the sort. He built a roll cage for my four cylinder bomb and built my race truck. So he does a good job the turn around time might be a while but when it's done it's a very good job.

Last edited by iliketits99; 04-16-2006 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:42 PM
I’m bored entertain me.

The million dollar question is still does a bolt in cage meet NHRA certification?
Old 04-16-2006, 08:46 PM

Hmmm i don't really know but i know i have a Jr. Dragster from half scale racing for sale if you have any kids and want them to get into racing. But he's doesn't do bolt on he welds them in all over and i believe he would know the answer to the million dollar question
Old 04-17-2006, 05:17 AM
Civic Racing eXperiment

All cars with an OEM frame must have roll bar attached to frame

Cars without frames use 6'' square 1/8'' steel plates on top and bottom of floor, securely bolted together with at least four 3/8'' bolts, or top plate welded to rocker sill.

- NHRA 2006 Rulebook, Section 16, Paragraph 4:10

Last edited by 24-7; 04-17-2006 at 05:55 AM.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:25 AM
I’m bored entertain me.

Originally Posted by 24-7
All cars with an OEM frame must have rool bar attached to frame

Cars without frames use 6'' square 1/8'' steel plates on top and bottom of floor, securely bolted together with at least four 3/8'' bolts, or top plate welded to rocker sill.

- NHRA 2006 Rulebook, Section 16, Paragraph 4:10
Huge thanks, especially for the Section and Paragraph number. I spent hours digging through the NHRA rules online and wasn’t able to find that info.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:06 AM
Civic Racing eXperiment

Originally Posted by Lincoln
Huge thanks, especially for the Section and Paragraph number. I spent hours digging through the NHRA rules online and wasn’t able to find that info.

Your welcom. I have a book so It makes it easier to find.