General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

New Ethanol Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 02:33 PM
King of Ricers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Ethanol Thread

I read the other thread about converting a gasoline vehicle to ethanol and did a little research into it. it appears as most of the work involves recalibrating the PCM and fuel contact components such as the pump would need to be upgraded. surprisingly ethanol isnt any more corrosive than gas

E85(85% ethanol 15% gasoline) looks to be what Bush is pushing towards in his state of the union, California and many other western states already sell E10/E25(10/25% ethanol). E85 would be something like 105 octane and would support the grocery getter to the very high performance dragster(in fact I'm told that ethanol is commonly used in race fuel). Ethanol is 127% efficient to produce since it is produced on plant which harness the sun for energy - Gasoline is only about 84% efficient to produce.

*** To produce meaning that the amount of energy stored per unit of ethanol will be 127% more than was used to produce it. This also means that gasoline takes MORE energy to produce than you get out of it - thats not even throwing in combustion energy innefficiency which would inflate both numbers in opposite directions. what a waste!

Converting to Ethanol:

E10 and E25 can be run(and is being used in some states) in most cars with standard emmissions equipment without any significant increase in emmissions. E85 however needs a new host of emmissions control parts to remain healthy for the environment.

Any car can run on Ethanol without the emisions alterarions(still need PCM calib and HO furlpump/injectors/hotter plugs) - but it violates federal EPA laws.

As of now, ethanol isnt produced in a large enough quantity to supplement the gasoline demand and the price is also around 2.50/gallon (similar to gasoline) but that is in part due to the small time production of the fuel! I think theres something like 90 plants that produce ethanol outputting 4% of the needed 120billion barrels of fuel. Once that number of plants reaches a significantly higher number the price will also drop to a more reasonable 1.70 or so with NO RELIANCE ON FOREIGN POLITICS!!! That means no more sudden jumps in price.

Of course, keep in mind the political and economic implications of removing reliance on foreign fuel. The stock market will not be gratefull, a lot of people will lose money and middle-eastern countries will feel their pockets getting lighter so I expect to see a LOT of political resistance against the growth of ethanol fuel.

Current E85 Capable cars:
Heres a site with immediately available cars
http://www.e85fuel.com/e85101/flexfuelvehicles.php

Here are some reference sites:
http://journeytoforever.org/ethanol.html
http://www.e85fuel.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_fuel
http://www.michigan.gov

Old 02-06-2006, 03:14 PM

Very good info. I think it is methanol you are referring to as the fuel in dragsters which is alcohol.

This would be very cool if this got mainstream. I wonder how hard it would be to convert an '87 mustang
Old 02-06-2006, 03:29 PM
is doing your girlfriend

all i have to do to convert my car to Meth, is new fuel line, new filter element, and an alky carb. Methanol runs cooler, produces up to 10% more mid-range torque, allows you to run more timing, more compression, more boost. Down side is that it is not as efficent as gasoline, kinda hard to find, and alcohol fires are near invisible so fire is a big risk.

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it
Old 02-06-2006, 05:01 PM
Ru Noises...

sounds cool good find and research and follow up for u sir!
Old 02-07-2006, 04:31 AM
Has V.I.P in HELL!

alky is good but it would never work on the street.u would have to run a lubricant with the alky because it drys stuff out and the bore on your block would rust if u let it sit.for every 100hp u make 7 more.but u burn twice as much as u would if u ran gas,same with ethanol.and like others said your tank,carb,filter would all have to be converted over and its worth it if your racing other then that u would be better off with gas.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:14 AM
King of Ricers

Yeah but I'm more happy with not having to worry about insurgents bumbing my fucking gas price through the roof...

Old 02-07-2006, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by NoTLaDStyle
Yeah but I'm more happy with not having to worry about insurgents bumbing my fucking gas price through the roof...
+1
Plus like you said middle eastern pockets getting light would then push gas prices down because they would be trying to regain market share and even if the US came up with a way to produce enough eth to supply a daily need for transportation we would still import gasoline from them because there is no way 100% of gas vehicles could be converted to eth so it would be a nice balance in price I believe the US should look into makin eth more available because it would "in theory" be better for all of us. That's just MHO
Old 02-07-2006, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Nolimitslja
+1
Plus like you said middle eastern pockets getting light would then push gas prices down because they would be trying to regain market share and even if the US came up with a way to produce enough eth to supply a daily need for transportation we would still import gasoline from them because there is no way 100% of gas vehicles could be converted to eth so it would be a nice balance in price I believe the US should look into makin eth more available because it would "in theory" be better for all of us. That's just MHO
or just slowly phase it out
Old 02-07-2006, 10:53 AM
Banned

I need to convert the bro-ham to run on that shit. I wonder if they make an E85 compatible Q-Jet.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:07 PM
is doing your girlfriend

Originally Posted by Frankie
I need to convert the bro-ham to run on that shit. I wonder if they make an E85 compatible Q-Jet.
I cant find any kits for the Q-Jet to run alky, but if you want to convert to a Holley there are tons of alky compatible holleys available..

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it