General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Stolen sports car back after 37 years

Old 01-18-2006, 04:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stolen sports car back after 37 years

NEW YORK (AP) -- Thirty-seven years after his sports car was stolen, a man in California is getting it back.

The 1968 Corvette was about to be shipped to a buyer in Sweden when U.S. Customs officials running a routine check on its vehicle identification number found it was stolen in 1969 in New York.

Alan Poster had bought the car as an indulgence in late 1968 in the aftermath of a divorce, he told The New York Times in its Tuesday edition. A few months later, his blue sports car was stolen from a Manhattan garage.

"(It was) probably the only car I've ever really loved," Alan Poster told the Times.

Adding insult to injury, the 1968 Corvette was a particularly valued car. Its so-called "Mako Shark" design was seen as ushering in the third generation of the Corvette. There were 18,360 of the convertibles made that year.

Porter, now 63, had long ago given up hope of getting his car back, and he moved to California, settling in a town near San Francisco.

His car also ended up in California. A collector in Long Beach, California was selling to a buyer in Sweden when Customs officials discovered the car's status in December. The collector isn't suspected of any wrongdoing.

New York police had until January 1 to find the car's original owner before it was shipped abroad. They had no name or address for the owner, so they spent four days studying old records on microfiche before they found the information they needed.

"It was the equivalent of finding a needle in a haystack, that report," Detective William Heiser said.

It's not known what happened to the car after it was stolen. Apparently no one tried to register it, because that would have tripped the same alarms that Customs agents found last year, police told the paper.

The once blue car is now silver, with a red interior, and it's missing some parts. But the car Poster paid $6,000 for back in 1968 is worth anywhere from $20,000 to $60,000 today, a Florida classic Corvette dealer told The Times.

"It's not getting away from me again," Poster told The New York Post. "They're going to have to kill me to get this car."

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/18/old....ap/index.html
Old 01-18-2006, 04:57 AM
do it BIG!!

ya..i saw that on the news...the real shitty part is that he is going to give it to his daughter...and a car like that..i dont think i would want some chick driving it..
its too beautiful to see fucked up by some dumbass chick that doesnt know how to use the brakes!

but its nice how the dude got his vette back..

if someone stole my s14...and i got it back 30 years later...well..i cant imagine that car surviving 30 more years...so i would be amazed!

STANZZZZZZZZZZZZZZAAAAAAAAAAAHHH

Old 01-18-2006, 04:59 AM
You'll love me.

that's amazing
Old 01-18-2006, 05:17 AM
call me Gangsta boo

Originally Posted by OniS14
and a car like that..i dont think i would want some chick driving it..
its too beautiful to see fucked up by some dumbass chick that doesnt know how to use the brakes!

Wow your a dumbass.

I can't imagine how that phone call went. 37 years and not one word of info....and then the call that they found the car.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:11 AM
bored...

ya..i saw that on the news...the real shitty part is that he is going to give it to his daughter...and a car like that..i dont think i would want some chick driving it..
lol plus 1 for the random sexist comment
its only missing somthin saying how they should remain in the kitchen
Old 01-18-2006, 06:24 AM
<<<Tampa<<< >>>Bay>>>

how the hell does this work. i mean if the car wasnt found, his insurance paid him out. therefore, he was already paid for the loss and he wouldnt get car back. was there not insurance then or something? im confused on that part. nice story though
Old 01-18-2006, 06:25 AM
Mark G

but can't they really track down who the hell stole it?! I mean who did the "collecter" buy it from.

lol whatever, he got a free paint job outta it i guess
Old 01-18-2006, 07:23 AM
do it BIG!!

psh...ive seen how chicks drive...they brake soo late..
although thats just a generalization...
n yeah...i am sexist...hahahaha "make me a sandwich!"

STANZZZZZZZZZZZZZZAAAAAAAAAAAHHH

Old 01-18-2006, 11:03 AM
...Your Mom

Originally Posted by corey r.
"It's not getting away from me again..."

...he is going to give it to his daughter...

What the Fuck?