Tampa Racing

Tampa Racing (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/)
-   General Car Chat (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/general-car-chat/)
-   -   What brand standalone,and why.. (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/general-car-chat/278515-what-brand-standalone-why.html)

Rotary7 12-26-2005 07:52 AM

What brand standalone,and why..

Im just gathering some info on standalones..
Haltec
Microtech
Sakura fuel managment.
Im tring to get an idea whats out there,and what trhey are going for used/new im lookin to start saving or looking for one.

Kirk 12-26-2005 08:02 AM

AEM EMS > *

http://www.aempower.com/product_ems.asp

Mars_302 12-26-2005 08:10 AM

Megasquirt and F.A.S.T

Duceanahalf 12-26-2005 08:15 AM

Carb + MSD 6al. A lot of domestics are running the F.A.S.T. and Megasquirt.

topper 12-26-2005 08:27 AM

I have heard a lot of good things about megasquirt and AEM EMS

allibabba 12-26-2005 08:46 AM

The FASY XFI looks good to me. But I am a V-8 person. Had a buddy with a 13B in his rail. That was one fast efin ride. Never did understand all the electronics in that thing with the extra coil and stuff.

Just Dave 12-26-2005 09:56 AM

Megasquirt....Why? Its $180.

John 12-26-2005 11:09 AM

[QU073=Ju57 D4v3]M3g45qu1|27....\^/hy? 175 $180.[/QU073]

4|\|d |\|0|\| 53qu3|\|714l :7humbd\^/|\|:

Mars_302 12-26-2005 11:10 AM

I bellieve the next version will be if its not already out

Rotary7 12-26-2005 11:44 AM

what is F A S T?

I heard when your said and done with,Megasquirt ends up being like $500. for a little more.I would just get a Microtech..

BOX SENTRA 12-26-2005 11:47 AM

what does sequential mean?

Alpha 12-26-2005 11:52 AM

I have only had experience with AEM EMS. It's a great system with a lot of base calibrations to start with. It has a learning curve as does all standalone systems. I'm running it on my personal car once the new rockers arms come in. Integrate the meth injection, GM boost solenoid and radiator fan switch into it. Anything you want to know specifically just ask.

Rotary7 12-26-2005 12:00 PM

EMS is the model number/name?

I never heard anyone with Mazda rotarys talk about running AEM.
Im just tring to wire a 91 Turbo engine,into a 84 RX7.

Just Dave 12-26-2005 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rotary7
what is F A S T?

I heard when your said and done with,Megasquirt ends up being like $500. for a little more.I would just get a Microtech..

Fuel Air Spark Timing. It was created by the guy that designed the first Accel DFI. He has since moved on to design the Big Stuff 3. Its a very good system but probably $2500 with wideband and options.

Megasquirt can be as cheap or expensive as you want. If you were to buy a built kit, wiring harness, relay board, everything ready to go it would be $500. If you buy the kit and solder it together, make your own harness, etc, it is far cheaper. Plus you'll get world wide 24/7/365 tech support online from a great bunch of knowledgeable people, constant software and hardware updates (free software, hardware is just the cost of the parts), and total flexibility. There is no better deal for a programmable system period.

Mars_302 12-26-2005 12:25 PM

My boss and a customer both bought a FAST setup for their L98 vettes. it was $2200 with a wideband and some nitrous controls. But their setup is batch fire only too. It costs more for sequential. I think to go all out, it was $3k at the time. The nice thing was, it was mostly just plug n play for the vette, it had an extra small harness you had to add for the MAP sensor to delete the MAF

DeadSexY 12-26-2005 12:59 PM

if you got the cash.........................http://www.autronic.com/

it tune's its self

Rotary7 12-26-2005 01:04 PM

fack i thought anything over $1200-$1500. was alot.

Alpha 12-26-2005 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Rotary7
EMS is the model number/name?

I never heard anyone with Mazda rotarys talk about running AEM.
Im just tring to wire a 91 Turbo engine,into a 84 RX7.

http://www.aempower.com/product_ems.asp

Alpha 12-26-2005 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by imdeadsexy
if you got the cash.........................http://www.autronic.com/

it tune's its self

I'm familiar with Autronic BUT explain to me how it tunes itself?

DeadSexY 12-26-2005 01:22 PM

http://www.autronic.com/page_files/autotune_feature.htm

Alpha 12-26-2005 01:29 PM

Like I said. I'm familiar with Autronic and it's features. Autronic, just like any standalone company, uses the term "autotune" as a marketing term. All it does is try to match a set A/F ratio. When I hear the word tune I think of fuel maps, ignition maps, troubleshooting, startup, ignition setup, etc. I will upload a video to my server to better demonstrate the "autotune" Autronic has.

Kirk 12-26-2005 01:46 PM

The autotune feature is helpful by so much...there is alot more than just the a/f ratio.... AEM also has an autotune feature..

Rotary7 12-26-2005 01:52 PM

AEM is out of the line up,they only do 93-95 RX7 engines

Alpha 12-26-2005 01:54 PM

If you know howto wire AEM EMS has a universal unit. Just like any real standalone a wire harness needs to be made.

Alpha 12-26-2005 01:57 PM

RIGHT CLICK SAVE TARGET-AS TO YOUR HARD DRIVE

Ben Strader demonstrating Autronic's "autotune" feature on an engine dyno. This was done a while back on an all motor Honda H22.

j30a1t 12-26-2005 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Kirk

+1 except for MoTeC

DeadSexY 12-26-2005 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Alpha
RIGHT CLICK SAVE TARGET-AS TO YOUR HARD DRIVE

Ben Strader demonstrating Autronic's "autotune" feature on an engine dyno. This was done a while back on an all motor Honda H22.

Those are some good number for an auto tune.

Alpha 12-26-2005 03:13 PM

What's not shown in the video is the amount of time spent on the ignition timing tables. Nothing "auto" about that ;) A/F doesnt play a huge roll in peak hp/tq numbers.

Alpha 12-26-2005 08:18 PM

To add before I goto sleep. Someone with no experience with Autronic's interface, tuning experience, etc. isn't going to be able to setup Autronic's "autotune".

Just Dave 12-27-2005 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Alpha
If you know howto wire AEM EMS has a universal unit. Just like any real standalone a wire harness needs to be made.

I'd much rather build a wiring harness for my $150 unit than my $1800 unit. :dunno: Especially when you'll still be starting from scratch with a tune since the AEM isn't a plug n' play for his car.

And the Megasquirt has an "autotune" feature where you plug in the A/F ratio you want for a particular load/rpm point and it will generate a tune while driving.

KJ 12-27-2005 06:00 AM

If I had $4k in budget to spend my list would be:

Motec
Autronic
AEM
Microtech or FAST

KJ 12-27-2005 06:01 AM

If I had $4k in budget to spend my list would be:

Motec
Autronic
AEM
Microtech or FAST

Unsurprisingly that is in descending order of cost. You get what you pay for.

qitstrn 12-27-2005 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by KJ
You get what you pay for.

Exactly, The reason why my car runs so well is all in the tune and the fuel management(AEM). When i switched to Aem over a piggyback i picked up 10% whp because of the ability to fine tune. It depends what your goals are and what you can afford.

Rotary7 12-27-2005 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Just Dave
I'd much rather build a wiring harness for my $150 unit than my $1800 unit. :dunno: Especially when you'll still be starting from scratch with a tune since the AEM isn't a plug n' play for his car.

And the Megasquirt has an "autotune" feature where you plug in the A/F ratio you want for a particular load/rpm point and it will generate a tune while driving.

I really want to look into this,The whole idea of this engine swap is an experiment anyways.If it doesnt work out good for me.Ill save it for another one of my cars.

I know megasquirt doesnt have a megasquirt.com but it was an odd name,can you link me to it?

How much experiance do you have with it?

Mars_302 12-27-2005 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Just Dave

cant you just cut the factory harness at the ECM figure out what wires are what and go fromt here? I think thats what mark did

Rotary7 12-27-2005 04:12 PM

if thats the case,I can get the schematics,of stock diagram

100X's easier,from the way it sounds

Orion ZyGarian 12-27-2005 04:40 PM

+1 for MegaSquirt v2.2. I'll be doing that along with all my other stuff for the red car.

http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

Also, www.msefi.com but that doesnt seem to be working

MitsuBucci 12-28-2005 03:22 AM

Since I haven't really seen anyone speak from experience here, and no one has mentioned Haltech, I'll add this.

I am running a Haltech E6X. I was able to pick it up used with harness and sensors for $650. I have been MORE than happy with it over the past 6-7 months I've had it. I was able to install it and use a couple equations to set up a tune and my car was only a 10th of a second slower on it's first pass. I managed to tune a full half second out of the car with the Haltech. This was after previously pushing the limits of the stock ECU/AFC combo a LOT.

The ECU now controls my 2 step launch control with stock ignition components as well as my Wet Nitrous Kit. It will control boost and has a few inputs and outputs that are very flexable.

That said, I would like to switch to a Haltech E11v2 because it has on board datalogging (something the AEM does have) as well as many more inputs and outputs.

I have taken Ben Straders EFI class and I have several years of tuning experience with basic piggybacks, but in my opinion, the Haltech was super easy to setup, even with a universal harness, and it was very easy to tune. It was easy to make the car start, run and idle too, which is not easy to say about most other standalones.

Hope that helps.

Rotary7 12-29-2005 07:08 AM

Goo dinfo on the Haltech.What year is that model,or do they still make it?

Just Dave 12-29-2005 09:06 AM

www.msefi.com is the MegaSquirt home page. And I do speak from some experience here because a friend of mine has one that I've played with and I'm running a TEC2 on my Mustang.

FYI, I'm going to ditch the TEC and go MS next year because the MS guys have worked out datalogging and tuning via a palm pilot and bluetooth connection. MUCH easier than dragging a laptop to the car and connecting a serial cable (if you have a laptop with serial cable).

That's the cool thing about the MS. Its a living, breathing project. All of the other systems are pretty much developmentally dead once production starts. The MS continuously evolves. The latest version will be able to control an electronic overdrive tranny as well as progressive nitrous systems, torque converter lockup, traction control, etc.

It just boggles my mind why people are using any other system when the MS will do everything and is $200 and a soldering iron.