General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Top Gear in the U.S. w/o the Brits

Old 12-24-2005, 05:28 PM
The Boss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Gear in the U.S. w/o the Brits

Found this on FinalGear.com. Seems that Discovery Channel got such good ratings from showing repackaged original Top Gear episodes that they decided to go for an All-American version. Here's hoping it's like the original and doesn't become Pimp-My-Ride for the over 30 crowd.

"The Top Gear telly programme has quietly become a global phenomenon. Recent figures suggested an extraordinary viewership, something in the region of one billon people across the globe. This explains why Jeremy gets mobbed on the streets of Dubai, why Richard Hammond is swooned over by housewives in Auckland and why James May will shortly appear on a series of commemorative stamps in Luxembourg. Probably. Only one country has been strangely resistant to the charms of three blokes cocking about in an old aircraft hangar - the United States of America.
Untill now. Earlier this year, Discovery decided they wanted in on the Top Gear action, starting with 18 repackaged programmes using existing items from TG UK. Accordingly, our pluckly lads spent five days at the Top Gear base recording new studio linkds in a more American-friendly way. Basically, getting Jeremy not to call them fat and stupid. This, however, was a mere entree for Discovery’s main plan: to make thier own version of Top Gear on US soil. Thier own studio, thier own test track, even - since our boys were too busy and anyway James May doesn’y like places that don’t server a decent cup of tea - thier own presenters.

That’s why earlier this eyar a brand new TG USA production team assembleddeep in the Mojave desert to create a pilot show for thier version of Britain’s favourite almost-BAFTA-winning car programmer. And, liker thier idea of what constitues a decent cup of coffee, the American take on Top Gear wasn’t entirely the same as ours. Instead of a shabby hangar and a track built around arifield taxiways, they got a pit garage and a proper circuit. Instead of filling the studio with 200 grunting Subaru drivers, they did without an audience. And instead of The Tall One, The Short One and The Other Oen, they hired three rather different American presenters. Bruno, a professional drag racer with casual tales of crashing at 230mph. John, the super keen jock, blessed with quaint ’sir and m’am’ good manners that only Americans can do. And, Johnny, a former reality show winner with a nice line in wierd humor.

Fortunatly some reference points remained, including Star In A Reasonably Priced Car. But, to set the power laps, there could be no substitue - the Stig was flown to the US and stunned everyone with his blistering pace as he hammered the CLS55, Charger, and Mustang round the circuit.

After two days’ shooting, the show that popped out of the other end was something familiar and yet rather different. For one thing, filming in sunshine gives the show a glossy feel a million miles from another drizzle sodden canter down a runway in Surrey. And shouting “Bring on the Stig” just sounds cooler in an American accent.

If Discovery likes the pilot show, a series will follow in 2006. Then Americans can enjoy a weekly shot of Top Gear, just like the rest of the world." -Top Gear magazine

"I'm the one that killed Monday, whooped Tuesday and put Wednesday, Thursday and Friday in the hospital." - Dolemite
Old 12-24-2005, 05:34 PM
sooo...where's the turbo?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oooh...i smell suck...lol.

what made top gear was the brit accent and the fact that they drove cars you would never find stateside. What are we going to test drive? all the exotics we could find over here in limited number (porsche, ferrari, MB, Noble) have already been filmed over there. So what are they going to do over here? A corvette, viper, a couple of AWD beasts and then the series will be done with any interesting cars unless they refilm all the tests from over there.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:43 PM
Free base cocaine

well id assume they also throw in a couple of concepts and beat the hell out of them. Maybe another of their waky races (Someone drives through New york) other takes subway or w.e) And polish it off with an enzo doing a doughnut thats like 6 episodes right there
Old 12-24-2005, 07:25 PM
tgm

Keep it british, they have cooler cars to test drive. Plus thier slang makes me laugh. I personally wouldnt watch if all they did test drive boring usdm cars.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:50 PM
I got fired last week

wow this is going to suck

yeah lets test a Vette and Mustang... Oh look a Cadillac!

Part of the charm of the original show is that British wit and the way they deal with things. Not to mention the odd cars they have and the hosts, while some may not like them, are pretty damn good for the show.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:57 PM
???
Capt."Howling Mad"Murdock

Originally Posted by tgm
Keep it british, they have cooler cars to test drive. Plus thier slang makes me laugh. I personally wouldnt watch if all they did test drive boring usdm cars.

+1

it was great watching them bash cars they didn't like..

we will never do that...
Old 12-24-2005, 08:08 PM
sooo...where's the turbo?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fritchard
wow this is going to suck

yeah lets test a Vette and Mustang... Oh look a Cadillac!

Part of the charm of the original show is that British wit and the way they deal with things. Not to mention the odd cars they have and the hosts, while some may not like them, are pretty damn good for the show.

Exactly, it'll probably get down to testing a PT Cruiser and whatever replaces the Neon. Whoop dee fucking doo!

It's going to end up like those Road Test Clips they sometimes show on Spike TV. Totally uncompelling with no action shots...maybe the car doing a slight burn out, or a 60 - 0 brake test. I remember getting all excited about the clip for the Enzo. A whopping 10 minutes, completely bored me!! One of the most exciting and well engineered cars in the world and they gave it the same treatment as a v6 stang. The press release for the Pinto had more gusto.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by ???
+1

it was great watching them bash cars they didn't like..

we will never do that...
Exactly. With car companies bound to advertise on this show, bad-mouthing of any car is out of the question.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:11 PM

They are going to have Saturns on there. I know it. Holy shit. Gonna suck? Think so....
Old 12-25-2005, 03:00 PM
15 seconds EXHILARATION

I like it. We can always watch the Brit shows a day after they come out thanks to the miracle of the interweb, and if the American show turns out good we finally get an entertaining American car show.