General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Counterfit Apexi turbo timer

Old 11-04-2005, 10:56 AM
slash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh man, that sux for anyone that bought the fake ones!
TRick Squad Member #3
VicPrez of IttyBittyTittyCommittee

Old 11-04-2005, 11:06 AM
Old School.

Originally Posted by Nolimitslja
How long before the counterfeiters see this and begin making the product as identical as can be now they pointed out all the differences kind of stupid on Apexi's part. They should have just put out a notice and said if you're looking to buy one don't buy it on e-bay
Yeah... it would have been real difficult to have bought one before making the duplicate. I'm sure they have their reasoning for making it slightly different and it isn't inability.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:23 PM
Just for decoration

Originally Posted by Rich
How about, turbo timers are for ricers?
I knew someone had to chime in with this. We have all heard the story.

R.I.P. Brian Nichols 02/07/1989-11/24/2008
Old 11-04-2005, 02:33 PM
towards antisocial

Originally Posted by Rich
turbo timers are for ricers

Rams are for rednecks.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:34 PM
Retired Ricer...

Originally Posted by indiegeek
You don't need a turbo timer if you're running synthetic oil.

If you're running dino on a turbo/blower, you need one, or you need to switch to synth.

Thats a damn good copy though.
Wrong.

First of all, it has been proven that conventional oil is BETTER than Synthetic oil in turbo'd vehicles. Synthetic oils, partially being because they are thinner than conventional, can seep past turbo seals, eventually causing premature failure.

And the type of oil you run, in no way, affects wether you would need a turbo timer or not... No matter what kind of motor oil you run, if you drive the car normal for the last minute or so before you turn it off, then there is no need for a turbo timer... ESPECIALLY with a water cooled turbo, as the water would actually HEAT more sitting still, as there is no air flowing through the heat exchanger to cool it..

The only time I could honestly see a need for a turbo timer, is after making like a top end WOT pass... and then parking the car right after... As previously stated, if you baby the car for the last minute or so, there is no need for a TT...

And yeah, that is a pretty damn good counterfeit

www.facebook.com/chris.storck1
Project WHIPLASH has begun!!!
RacingIntegration.com (813)935-6720
InductionPerformance.com
NS Racing (813)842-5517
Old 11-05-2005, 12:38 PM
Banned

Good Counterfeit...Um, I had a TT...I used it for that, the Voltage meter (didn't have to but a volt gauge, and yes it came in handy when my alternator went bad, bought another one, just to find out that one was bad), I had everything on mine hooked up...Evan and a few others will vouche that it has saved me from other stuff then just the turbo going bad....I don't think I am a ricer...SRRY...
Old 11-05-2005, 12:59 PM
putting on the ritz

Originally Posted by InsaneCivicSedan
Wrong.

First of all, it has been proven that conventional oil is BETTER than Synthetic oil in turbo'd vehicles. Synthetic oils, partially being because they are thinner than conventional, can seep past turbo seals, eventually causing premature failure.

And the type of oil you run, in no way, affects wether you would need a turbo timer or not... No matter what kind of motor oil you run, if you drive the car normal for the last minute or so before you turn it off, then there is no need for a turbo timer... ESPECIALLY with a water cooled turbo, as the water would actually HEAT more sitting still, as there is no air flowin through the heat exchanger to cool it..

The only time I could honestly see a need for a turbo timer, is after making like a top end WOT pass... and then parking the car right after... As previously stated, if you baby the car for the last minute or so, there is no need for a TT...

And yeah, that is a pretty damn good counterfeit
It didn't take research to prove to anyone that synthetic oil can surpass old/weak seals.

It's common sense. It's why noone reccomends synthetic in high mileage vehicles.

Conventional oil BAKES when left uncirculating and hot, which is why people run synthetic oil while boosted. This is also the point of turbotimers. Synthetic oil does NOT bake.This is the entire point of a turbo timer, to circulate to oil back down the return line OUT OF THE TURBO SO THAT IT DOESN'T BAKE (at any temperature you and I would throw at it).

Let me reiterate, synthetic oil does NOT bake.

I will never run dino in a boosted car, and I will never run synthetic in an NA car.

Here's research mister , Conventional motor oils tend to 'boil off' in high temperatures. Losing up to 25 percent of their original weight in high temperature service, vaporized oils grow thick and heavy. They circulate poorly, reduce fuel efficiency and contribute to excessive emissions and engine wear. Of course, oil consumption skyrockets as oil boils off.

Oh, wait, here's more;

To make a 10w-40 oil, the manufacturer would start out with a 10 weight oil as the base stock. All by itself, this oil would thin out so much at normal operating temperatures that the oil film would be useless. So, they add these very special very long molecules, the VIIs. The VII molecules are as much as 1000 times as long as an oil molecule. The VII molecules curl up in a little ball at room temperature, but as the temperature gets higher they uncurl and stretch out, like a cat sleeping in the sunlight. The more stretched out the molecule is, the more it impedes the normal flow of the oil, thus raising the effective viscosity. Now, this sounds just a little too good to be true. Well, there are two catches: first, these molecules are not lubricants, so the more of them that you add the less oil you have sitting around lubricating things. Secondly, these VII molecules can be broken into pieces by various pressures and forces, like being squeezed through the transmission gears in a motorcycle or the hydraulic valves in a diesel engine. Every time a VII molecule gets broken, the oil loses some of its high temperature viscosity. Synthetic oils made from pure PAOs and/or Diesters typically have very few VIIs, so these oils are far less subject to viscosity breakdown due to shearing of the VII package.

Now get back in the kitchen and let us men race, woman.

dino oil better for turbos. what the fuck.

Last edited by indiegeek; 11-05-2005 at 01:21 PM.