Tampa Racing

Tampa Racing (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/)
-   General Car Chat (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/general-car-chat/)
-   -   Cork Oil Pan Gasket Question (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/general-car-chat/229026-cork-oil-pan-gasket-question.html)

HerHotRod 04-25-2005 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by buck19
what kind of adhesive did you use?

All I remember is that the adhesive itself was yellow. Sorry :) . I'm sure it would be in the same section as the other sealers.

Originally Posted by Frank
I know you're not stalking me, Janien (probably spelled horribly wrong). I'm just a faster typer than you. It stems from me having a faster and lighter Chevrolet than you I think.

:lol: and you spelled it right. You running track day?

buck19 04-25-2005 10:35 AM

how bad was it to scrape off.

F*r*a*n*k*e*i 04-25-2005 10:41 AM

Nah, I never run track day. My car is a turd with this half ton pickup motor in it. I need to stop spending all of my side money and finish this damn stroker motor for the car already.

HerHotRod 04-25-2005 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by buck19
how bad was it to scrape off.

If you mean the adheasive, not to bad. I Just did a THIN line around the pan (make sure it is clean and not oily) then put the gasket on it, let it set a few minutes and put the pan on. You'll have to use a gasket scraper or razor blade to get it off. The gasket will come off in pieces as you scrape. It's basically like glue so you don't want to use to much.

BigBadBuick 04-25-2005 10:44 AM

If a surface is clean, you shouldn't have to use RTV with a gasket. On some tranny's I've done, I've found it easier to just use the grey import gasket maker in place of a gasket all together but not with a gasket. The only time I've seen that is correct is if you have multi part gaskets, ford oil pan and intake gaskets come to mind first, then it's just a small dab where the different pieces meet so as not to have a gap. If you are just looking for something to keep the gasket in place while you line everything up, a very thin bead of trim adhesive will keep it in place. You are not supposed to use RTV on a gasket though, I've never encountered a factory gasket coated with anything, and never read instructions with a gasket that said to coat it with anything. :wink:

buck19 04-25-2005 10:45 AM

just throw a vortech on it and call it a day...

F*r*a*n*k*e*i 04-25-2005 10:48 AM

You've never supposed to use RTV on a transmission. A little RTV floating around in the tranny can totally fuck it up. That's why I use rubber gaskets when working with autos. Automatic transmissions suck anyway, fuck them.

I thought you're supposed to use RTV on the oil pan gasket. My shop manuals say to do so, but I also have shop manuals that were written in the 60's.

flubyux2 04-25-2005 10:48 AM

if you ever use RTV/FIPG/Silicone sealer on a cork gasket, only use a tiny bit so that it sticks to the engine part. if you do use a big bead of it, it WILL act as a lubricant like billy said. infact, there are alot of engines out there that never even came with an oil pan gasket, just FIPG. Toyota doesnt use oil pan gaskets, just black FIPG. however, the gasket kits include the oil pan gasket and everyone feels the need to use it. DONT, youll end up w/ leaks later. a nice solid bead of FIPG is the best oil pan gasket you can have.

i just pulled the bottom end off a DSM last night and it had a paper gasket on it. as soon as i had all but 3 bolts removd, the oil pan had separated and was hanging down. ive NEVER had an oil pan do that. they were always stuck to the engine w/ a nice seal to some degree. ive never seen an oil pan just DROP off the motor when the bolts were removed.

RTV/FIPG/silicone or gasket, not both. a few dabs to hold the gasket in place could help, as previously mentioned... just not a whole bead.

buck19 04-25-2005 10:50 AM

the factory oil pan gasket for this motor is just straight RTV. did that and it had a leak, and it takes forever to scrape it clean and reapply gasket. so just got a cork gasket.

HerHotRod 04-25-2005 10:58 AM

IMO, If you do cork use at least a little adheasive so it doesn't squeeze out.