General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

New B6 Passat

Old 12-15-2004, 06:58 AM
Ruhe in Frieden Pablo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New B6 Passat

Volkswagen has released the first official photos of the all-new sixth generation Passat. The B6 (sixth generation B-class platform, also known as the PQ46) has grown larger in all dimensions, offers a range of new powerplants including an all-new 280hp 3.6l six-cylinder and has an overall more upscale appearance that continues the legacy that the B5 Passat leaves behind.

The Passat has grown in size with the sixth generation model to an overall length of 187.7 inches and a width of 71.7 inches. That brings the length up 2.5 inches and width a whopping 3 inches over the outgoing B5 Passat. We were given a sneak peak at the new B6 Passat several months ago and in the metal the new Passat has a bit of Audi A6 meets B5 Passat meets Chrysler 300M meets Phaeton. Proportions look great on the new car, especially the extra width which give the car a much better stance - the car actually looks much wider than these photos show it.

The B6 Passat will be available with a 200hp 2.0l turbocharged 4-cylinder with FSI currently found in the GTI. This engine will replace the venerable 1.8T as the new base engine. The 2.0T FSI will be mated to either the MQ350 six-speed transmission or the butter-smooth Aisin built six-speed Tiptronic automatic. Also new to the Passat and unique to the U.S. market is an all-new 280hp 3.6l VR6 FSI that replaces the current 2.8l Audi V6. This new 3.6l VR6 model will only be sold in the U.S. market B6 Passat initially (Germany will get a 250hp 3.2l VR6 FSI) and will be available only with a six-speed tiptronic in either front-wheel-drive or all-wheel-drive configurations. Since the new B6 Passat utilizes Golf V component sharing (HVAC, engines, transmissions, etc., etc.) the B6 Passat has moved to a transverse engine layout which also means a switch from a Torsen-based AWD system to a Haldex-based AWD system.

The new Passat is also a recipient of the Golf V's vastly improved revised Macpherson strut front suspension and all-new full indepenent rear suspension. Coupled with a claimed 57% increase in torsional rigidity over the outgoing model, the new B6 Passat reportedly rides and handles wonderfully with virtually no dive, no squat and no roll even on base configurations.

Expect the B6 Passat to have a full compliment of standard and optional features including a new electronic parking brake system, high-intensity discharge (HID) headlamps, optional DVD-based navigation system, Bluetooth support, all-new key system with no traditional cut key but rather a transmitter device that gets inserted into the dash and pushed to start. Pricing is expected to start where the current car leaves off and climb to around $38,000 fully loaded with AWD, HID, 280hp 3.6l VR6, navigation, leather and more.

The B6 Passat will be shown publicly at the Geneva Auto Show in March 2005 followed closely by the debut of the U.S. version at the New York Auto Show. The 2.0T FSI sedan will go on sale here in North America first in the 3rd quarter of 2005 (in dealers in August as of this writing) followed by the 3.6l VR6 sedan in October of 2005. The wagon will be a delayed introduction in February of 2006. Expect options to include both a sport line and a luxury line with aluminum trim, sport suspension and larger wheels on the sport line and wood trim and more luxury features going the luxury option route. Navigation and high-intensity discharge headlamps will also be available as an option so Volkswagen is addressing criticism from existing owners that options available on German cars aren't available on North American models. Overall the packaging and trim levels look very promising.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:03 AM
Retired

3.6L VR6? How much room do they have in that block??? Slightly resembles the new Subaru Legacy. Looks like stiff competition for the Maxima. Those VW engineers and designers are really earning their pay! New GTI and Passat with 2 new engines, new suspension, etc. Lets just hope that the reliability is more uniform than the last gen.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:14 AM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

IRS??

holy shit what is thsi world coming to!! IRS on a VW... wow.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:48 AM
Ruhe in Frieden Pablo

The interior is that of a 5 series.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:39 AM
N2O Lover

YAWN.......
Best Times 1/4
N/A - 12.56@110.51
N2O - 11.43@123.15
100 shot
See My Cars - Listen to the 224/228 closed & open - My Latest Video of Drag Run
Originally posted by moldyhands
Show me an 11 second import that only has a few thousand in it, and I'll show you a car owner that's always talking about when his car's going to get fixed and what broke.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:59 AM
Rey
Banned

nice Phaeton-esque head lights/front end
Old 12-15-2004, 11:03 AM
Treated and Released

The B6 is designed after the Phaeton....which was designed before the Legacy. Also 38k is totaly topped out....I know you can put a Legacy into a low-to-mid 30's range.It will be very interesting to see how the new 2.0T FSI engine responds to mods.
“Equality, rightly understood as our founding fathers understood it, leads to liberty and to the emancipation of creative differences; wrongly understood, as it has been so tragically in our time, it leads first to conformity and then to despotism”-Barry Goldwater
Old 12-15-2004, 11:29 AM
Treated and Released

Originally posted by Zate
Legacy GT Ltd (in my drive way) - $28k. All the useful options.

$38K is way too much money for that car. .. the interior is no better than whats in the legacy.

The car itself looks great.. but i dont see how they can justify $38K for that. ..
You could probably get the 2.0T model for around that price if not less. I think the VR6 model is in a different class. It competes more with A6's and 300M's like it says in the article. I'd like to see a Legacy GT and Passat 2.0T go head-to-head. I have heard nothing but good things about the 2.0T and suspect it has been underrated from the factory *already in production in Europe*. I agree with you though 38k is to much. IIRC VW is more of a dealin' brand now though where it isn't hard to get one of their cars for at or under invoice.
“Equality, rightly understood as our founding fathers understood it, leads to liberty and to the emancipation of creative differences; wrongly understood, as it has been so tragically in our time, it leads first to conformity and then to despotism”-Barry Goldwater