General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Lost Title need help

Old 12-15-2004, 06:46 AM
Vtec what?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost Title need help

Ok i bought a 94 cx hatch and now want to sell it i signed it and got a temp tag but now have lost the title. What can i do? The tag office wont let me change it into my name with out the title. And i have no clue where the guy is. the person that's on the title is not the person i bought it from. Can i do a car fax report and get the name & address of the person or will it not give it to me. Thanks for any help or info i can get.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

carfax is not as accurate as you'd need.

You might be able to check with the DMV. I "sold" a car to a "friend" who ended up not paying me (thus, the quotes) and I checked with them to see if he turned in the title. He did, but they were nice enough to give me his address. Of course, having no legal action I could take, I assumed it was an old address anyway, and dropped the matter altogether ):

Why are you buying/selling cars so quick before being able even to get them into your name? Find out from them what needs to be done, if anything CAN be done. Which, if you have posession of the car and the guy isn't reporting it stolen, surely you can get it into your name.

Besides, legally, you have to wait 21 days from the time you turn in the title before you can sell the car. I went through this with the Buick. Of course, it was worth it.