General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

snap on vs mac tools

Old 12-07-2004, 06:10 AM
kings cannot fall.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

actually, the husky micro tough are the same as mac micro tough, also.

snap on is far superior..
if you buy matco, you are pretty much getting the craftsmen "pro" series, with a few minor exceptions.
mac- about the same quality as the stanley line of stuff..
every s-k wrench ive owned hasnt fit right, or slipped. (slip and kill)
at least with snap on, they dont make anything for other companies at cheaper prices, tey only make thier own tools, and are top notch.
also, i think all snap on makes for kobalt is the wrenches... the packages say that kobalt is owned by danaher.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:01 AM
All Aboard

just spent 360 dollars w/ the snap on guy.

3/8 drive ratchet (with comfort handle )
3/8 drive 6pt socket set
pry bar set
17mm wrench
14mm gear wrench

Old 12-07-2004, 11:14 AM
Livin' in Seattle

Whatever floats your boat I suppose. I can't justify the price of a Snap-on ratchet/wrench when I can easily run over to Sears and get it for a hell of a lot less. I suppose if I lived far away from a Sears location I might think otherwise but as it stands, if I break one I have only to drive ten minutes away and get a replacement. Now if you're talking torque wrenches, that's one area where I don't mess around. I've been through three Craftsman torque wrenches and one Kobalt wrench. Snap-on is where it's at when it comes to a torque wrench that will remain accurate. I'd also like to say that you've got to pick the right tool for the job. If you've got a bolt snugged down to 150+ ft/lbs, a 3/8ths with a breaker bar isn't the route to go. Chances are most tool breakages occur from people choosing the wrong tool.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:28 AM
All Aboard

Originally posted by Bill
Whatever floats your boat I suppose. I can't justify the price of a Snap-on ratchet/wrench when I can easily run over to Sears and get it for a hell of a lot less. I suppose if I lived far away from a Sears location I might think otherwise but as it stands, if I break one I have only to drive ten minutes away and get a replacement. Now if you're talking torque wrenches, that's one area where I don't mess around. I've been through three Craftsman torque wrenches and one Kobalt wrench. Snap-on is where it's at when it comes to a torque wrench that will remain accurate. I'd also like to say that you've got to pick the right tool for the job. If you've got a bolt snugged down to 150+ ft/lbs, a 3/8ths with a breaker bar isn't the route to go. Chances are most tool breakages occur from people choosing the wrong tool.
i agree with "most tool breakages occur from people choosing the wrong tool." however, i don't think my craftsman ratchets failed because of improper usage. after about 5 months of using one the gear mechanism just started to catch and then not want to turn inside the ratchet. with the second ratchet it did basically the same thing although it was bad enough where i just stopped using it. i don't really use 3/8th drive on 17mm plus bolts...unless they are already broken...mostly its 12mm-14mm bolts.

i can't wait until i have some work to do...so i can start using this snap-on ratchet...next week i'm probably pulling a motor so that will be its first major test.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:30 PM
dan
Get the fuck off my lawn

never had a problem with craftsmen, and they've been used for about 30 years too. only thing we've broke was a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter, definately user inflicted.

does anyone actually wash, clean and oil their tools anymore? i notice people bitch, and then i hit their ratchets with some wd-40 and they work good as new. even our craftsmen ratchet started locking up, and wd-40 solved it. it had some oily residue in it, probably from a certain dirty project we did.

the only gripe with craftsmen is their gearing return is too long. my dad and i are king of the roads when it comes to finding spare tools and stuff on highways...we found a snap-on 3/8" ratchet...its got a way better return gear, much shorter and easier to use in tight spaces.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:38 PM
7M 2JZ bird in pear tree

WD40 has infinite uses Just the other day, I killed a wasp or two

Anybody ever use or heard of someone using the 'new' Craftsman wrenches that have a ratchet inside the box end? I've looked around and heard that most people like them, especially since you only have to turn it 5 degrees instead of 30-40 like a regular ratchet.

ASE: Brakes
Yea..that very well could have been the most retarded idea I've ever heard, but .. do it anyway. -TheShow50h
Old 12-07-2004, 03:06 PM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

Snap On > *.*
Old 12-07-2004, 04:01 PM
dan
Get the fuck off my lawn

Originally posted by Orion ZyGarian
WD40 has infinite uses Just the other day, I killed a wasp or two

Anybody ever use or heard of someone using the 'new' Craftsman wrenches that have a ratchet inside the box end? I've looked around and heard that most people like them, especially since you only have to turn it 5 degrees instead of 30-40 like a regular ratchet.
yeah picked those up a few weeks ago. havnt had much use for them yet, but theyre pretty sweet.

honestly i could care less what name is on my tools, at least i know theyre getting used and not just sitting there looking pretty. and shit breaks, buy another.

sand : outof : vagina
Old 12-07-2004, 05:37 PM
kings cannot fall.

i have that same pry bar set actually.

the only thing i hate about snap on tools is when you look at like 4 things you buy, and it costed you like a billion dollars.
after the initial buyers remorse wears off though, they are the best. haha
Old 12-07-2004, 06:10 PM

I have a little of everything in my box.

Craftsman
Snap On
S-K
Husky
Cobalt

Not to mention to variety of other brands like vice-grip and no name harbor freight shit.

I buy what I need to get by with and if I have the money to spend I like to buy the good stuff.

Last edited by 0HP930; 12-07-2004 at 06:13 PM.