General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

eeek! engine smoke?

Old 12-03-2004, 08:07 PM
n00b

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eeek! engine smoke?

My engine started smoking for no reason(that i'm aware of) tonight. It wasn't smoking on the way home or anything, but when i got home, it started smoking. I know it could be anything... so any lead into the right direction would be great. Maybe the weather? its like 50degrees, so could that be it? thanks.

btw.... i have a 1998 vw jetta vr6
Old 12-03-2004, 08:39 PM
Thread TERRORIST

Color will tell. Look at the color, and you don't even need to post, there are 1204971259087 websites out there than have analysis of smoke. I don't quite remember it all offhand, but I thinks its something like blue=oil, white=water, black=unburnt gas? If its any other color, you've got some serious problems...

"They were crying when their sons left, God is wearing black. Hes gone so far to find no hope, hes never coming back. They were crying when their sons left, all young men must go. Hes come so far to find the truth hes never going home."

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 08:48 PM
n00b

Originally posted by Mars_302
What color is it first off?

its whiteish... what does a water problem mean?
Old 12-03-2004, 08:51 PM
Thread TERRORIST

Originally posted by seanpoe
its whiteish... what does a water problem mean?
It means you get to spend 15 bucks on new head gaskets, rip off the valve covers and heads, and put replacement gaskets in. Usually.

Edit: by the way, blown head gasket. It allows water that circulates through the engine jackets to keep it form melting to seep down into the pistons and get burned out with the rest of the gasses. Harmless at first, but if left untreated and allowed to grow, the problem can result in one hydrolocked engine.

"They were crying when their sons left, God is wearing black. Hes gone so far to find no hope, hes never coming back. They were crying when their sons left, all young men must go. Hes come so far to find the truth hes never going home."

Last edited by BAMF; 12-03-2004 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:05 PM
n00b

$15? for VW head gaskets?.... why would it do it so randomly? i wasn't driving it hard at all... if anything, i was babying it.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:15 PM
Thread TERRORIST

Originally posted by seanpoe
$15? for VW head gaskets?.... why would it do it so randomly? i wasn't driving it hard at all... if anything, i was babying it.
Not sure, 15 bucks was a generic figure, they're probably more. Hmm, well thats the most common cause...and I'm not a mechanic, but I'm not sure where else just water would get in from - if anyone knows a bit more, chime in. Usually beating the piss outta your car will do it, but I'm not sure, maybe it was just their time to go?

Its not hard to find out - just check your coolant levels every so often. If they go down abnormally fast, and you don't see water leakign from the lines, and you see white smoke, then thats a very good assumption to make. On another note, if you decide to let the problem ride, always check your coolant. If you run out, your temp gauge will not register the engine overheating until its way too late.

Old 12-03-2004, 09:28 PM
n00b

thanks for your help. i'll take it to my mechanic to get it checked out futher though. ty
Old 12-03-2004, 10:15 PM
Rey
Banned

I lheart working on veedubs... teh somewhat simpleness until you get into y2k .. then it's teh suck with all the plastic
Old 12-04-2004, 07:01 AM

$15? made of what, cardboard boxes?

Mine for the Mazda was around that.
Plus exhaust gaskets.
Plus intake gaskets.
Plus taking the head to be checked (it can be warped if it overheated)
Plus any hoses that should be replaced at the time.
Plus timing belt (change it if you remove it, good maintenance)
Plus any other belts (probably a serpentine on a newer car)
Plus oil and coolant, which you'll have to drain.

If that comes to $15, good luck!

And if you take it to a mechanic, expect it to be about $1,500+. Even more for a VW I would imagine.