General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

switching from conventional to synthenic

Old 09-18-2004, 04:24 PM
jdk
Non ducor, duco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just switch cold turkey brother. FWIW, I remember back in the day castrol said you could mix syntec with conventional oil. I've got about another 1000 miles before I switch to synthetic (amsoil or mobil 1) in my cobra.
Old 09-19-2004, 01:16 PM
GSXR

Originally posted by 351coupe
If you use conventional oil,stick with it.If you switch to synthetic your gonna start getting oil leeks.Unless you have a fresh motor to begin with.

I've read numerous articles that support this. If you got a high milage car you should not change to synthetic if it used regular previously. All the small areas where the old oil clumps will now be dissolved by the synthetic leading to leaks, you'll end up w/ either gaskets leaking, valve stem seals leaking, or other areas where it would be detrimental to the motor.
Old 09-19-2004, 01:40 PM

Water, lots of it.
Old 09-19-2004, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by 0HP930
Water, lots of it.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:46 AM
The Fat Cobra

Originally posted by 0HP930
Water, lots of it.
+ a little comet to help clean out the old oil deposits.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:57 AM
Devils advocate

Just change the oil to the synthetic. All motor oil has a certain ammount of detergent content that helps clean out the old residue. Change it now and then the next time you change it with synthetic again you will have no conventional oil residue left in the motor.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:10 AM

Just out of curiosity can you change back to regular if you started using synthetic? Also is there a brand that makes "good" regular oil, I mean like royal purple suposedly is the the best synthetic oil to use. Is there a same thing for regular oils? I was just wondering these things.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:43 PM

Yes you can go back and forth all you want. You can mix them if you want. They're all completely compatible with each other.

True synthetics have a synthetic base, not just additives. There are semi-synthetics, and there are blends. Blends are just regular and synthetic mixed. Which gives you no more benefit, but costs more. Joy!

A true synthetic will have a higher flash point, basically because the molecules are a uniform size, unlike regular oils. That means that it burns off at a higher temperature, and resists burning off better. Oil that burns off leaves sludgy oil, which is part of why you have to change regular oil more frequently.

Royal Purple isn't the only synthetic- there's also Redline and Amsoil that I know of. Personally I think the other brands got into synthetic only because they saw it taking away their profits, so they jumped in.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:45 PM

Default Re: switching from conventional to synthenic

Originally posted by Whaazup17
What is the fluid I should pour into to mix with the conventional to prepare the engine for the transition to synthenic
Oh and to answer your question, you just get an engine cleaner that you run in the engine. When I switched to Amsoil I bought the engine cleaner also. You change the oil, add it, then regular oil, then run it 20 minutes at high idle, not driving it. Drain the oil, refill with synthetic, change filter, and you're done.