General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Two questions, plz respond.

Old 07-15-2004, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two questions, plz respond.

Ok first i need a good set of luxury/sport tires for my classic benz, preferably with white walls at about 225/50 for the size. Its a 280SEL (AMG used to race these bastards in the 70's). I cant find any on tire rack (only for 450slc, those weigh less). Some classy suggestions for spoked rims would be nice, Im looking at dayton classics but im open for suggestions (I want nothing more than 80 spokes, its not a lowrider here...)

Also, im going to tear out the motor and trans from my parts car (same as my good benz's). I would like to know any tips before i get it. Turns out the block is iron (Very, very high nickel content) and the heads are aluminum. Should any special care be given to this? Im in the process of looking for an authentic ETM manual but those are not cheap, and MB USA discontinued "paper" in 1997, so im fucked LOL.

Im also going to rebuild the trans, its a 4 speed auto.

Please any help or suggestions would really help. This would be my first motor/trans rebuild. If you need Im going to post pics of the parts car.

NOTE: THE ENGINE PREVIOUSLY HAD AN ENGINE FIRE, SO THAT IS WHY IT IS PARTS.

Will this make my life harder? Possibly warped heads?

-Keenan
Old 07-15-2004, 11:28 AM
Scissor me timbers!

Are you talking about the 73-76 110.921 engine?Or is it the later 70's engine? Yes, early benz aluminum heads cracked easy. Have you disassembled the doner yet. If you have problem's with parts, I have a place that carries alot of stuff for your car. Just PM me.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:26 PM

No its the one before the smog crap started to show up and sap power. Its out of a 1972 280se with 70k miles. The engine series is a m117 (?).

Thanks for the help. Im ready to salvage as many parts off this beast as possible. If your friend has any of the old school rims ( like the one on this car http://www.californiaclassix.com/arc...280SE_c18.html ) then please talk to me. I need a rim/tire combo!

-Keenan Arodak