General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

The Best 4 Cylinder of all time

Old 04-12-2004, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by williamb82
ok, im gonna explain this for the simple minded folk. the studs will get pulled because of the high cylinder pressures that exsist when you run alot of boost. we didnt pull the studs out, the hg blew because the pressures in the cylinders caused the head to try and pop off the block. but to do that it had to pull the studs with it. make sense now. aluminum is malable. it is used because it is light weight. for an n/a engine it should be fine, but for a motor that is see's lots of boost all the time it is far from desirable. this is all to due with reliability. for full blown drag cars, they throw that to the wind.
william
Wow, you just proved yourself
Old 04-13-2004, 03:10 PM
Honda Guru

Default 4 cyl

oh, and btw, i HAVE seen a honda motor do just what i stated. boosted a max of 22psi. lasted maybe 2 weeks. then started smoking. upon disassembly the head bolt threads were stripped due to the pressure. head had never been off before so you cant say faulty instalation.
william
You say the head had never been off, and they were running 22 psi for 2 weeks, and then started smoking? umm thats pretty impressive to me, most motors cant last that long with 22 psi considering the head has never been takin off, that leads me to conclude that the bottem end was never touched either, considering this is not a naturally born turbo motor, I'd say not too bad, so stop hatin playa. -Ben
Old 04-13-2004, 03:43 PM
TRs Iron Chef & Party God

im sorry but anyone that did not say the 3SGTE is wrong....how can you argue with the motor that toyota has built the majority of its LeMans race cars around for countless years.

Saggleman: cause lord knows theres nothing i love more than swallowing condoms full of cocaine
Old 04-13-2004, 03:45 PM
i eat hamburgers

i should've had a V-8
Old 04-13-2004, 04:03 PM
Anti-Flag

teh 503e LeMans motor toyota uses is slightly based around the 3SGTE but its defiantely not hte same motor ...

Look up some of the the pictures of Toyota motors and type in 503e .. The JGTC GT500 Supra's used 503e's

http://www.toysport.com/Technical%20...%20Engines.htm

If your going to post , please fucking think before you start talking out of your ass !
Old 04-13-2004, 04:30 PM
Hello

and if you want to see which engine is really better, but a 3sgte on an engine stand next to a 4g63 and start dissassembling them both. you will see which one is better. the exhaust manifold bolts on the 4g63 are a joke, as is most everything else on that engine. it was built cheeply, and it shows. also the stock turbos are pure garbage. i have not seen more blown stock turbos from any other turbocharged vehicle, you can blame it on people turning up the boost too high which helps kill them, but i know people that never modded their engines or raised the boost and still had lots of problems.
How many other stock turbos can do 11's? (even the FWD's) Or be easily put into the 12's? The 14b is a pretty damn good stock turbo. 95% of people that own dsm's do not know how to take care of them so therefore it will break often. I boosted a 14b to 17-20 lbs daily for approximately 25,000 miles and beat the shit out of it. Yet to have a problem with the turbo, btw, turbo probably has 100k on it easily.

What’s so cheap about it? The block/crank will take 800+hp, the rods are pretty stout. How can you call an engine cheap when it will support huge numbers for not even taking off the valve cover?

You sound uneducated on the subject.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:07 PM
grease monkey!

i am calling it cheap because it is. i have rebuilt one of each the 4g63 and 3sgte and the parts in the 4g63 are crap in comparisson. as for the block and crank holding 800rwhp, how often do you hear of ANY crank in ANY engine breaking? it takes alot more then a block and crank to make up an engine.
william
Old 04-13-2004, 07:11 PM
grease monkey!

Default Re: 4 cyl

Originally posted by Me2
You say the head had never been off, and they were running 22 psi for 2 weeks, and then started smoking? umm thats pretty impressive to me, most motors cant last that long with 22 psi considering the head has never been takin off, that leads me to conclude that the bottem end was never touched either, considering this is not a naturally born turbo motor, I'd say not too bad, so stop hatin playa. -Ben

im not hating, i was impressed it lasted that long, even though it was only a t3 turbo, but i just cant see why someone would use an aluminum block to build a high output engine if they want it to last. but, no point in arguing, everyone has their own opinion and this argument would never end.
Old 04-14-2004, 03:59 AM
Olde Skool DSM'r

williamb82.

You have no clue what you are talking about.
please go back to where you came from.

You appear to be more of an idiot everytime you post.

Thank you.