General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Subaru Impreza based Saab 9-2X

Old 10-23-2003, 11:56 AM
1337 H4x0r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru Impreza based Saab 9-2X

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/?news/a...y.php?id=41103

When is a Subaru Impreza not an Impreza? When it's the Saab 9-2X. This new high-performance five-door is based on the Japanese firm's legendary model, and with a flat-four engine, all-wheel-drive chassis and 227bhp power output, it promises to be one of Saab's most thrilling models ever.

As this first official picture shows (top image), designers have skilfully grafted Saab's corporate nose on to the Impreza's body, but the overall shape has been left alone - even the Subaru door handles remain.

Poking out of the aggressive bonnet is the trademark oversized air scoop which provides essential cooling to the 2.0-litre turbocharged engine on the flagship Aero. However, an entry-level model powered by the Legacy's 150bhp 2.5- litre normally aspirated unit will also be produced.

In an attempt to leave their own mark, Saab's engineers have tweaked the suspension and turbocharger to ensure a more refined ride and power delivery. Despite this, company insiders have assured us that the 9-2X's driving experience will be on a par with that of the Impreza.

Ready to be revealed just prior to the Los Angeles Motor Show in December, the 9-2X will be built at the Fuji Heavy Industries plant in Japan, and is specifically intended for the North American market. Saab UK is still waiting for confirmation on whether the newcomer will be sold in Europe. A spokesman told us: "The jury's out."

Potential hurdles include the fact that there is no diesel-engined Impreza, and that the CO2 emissions of the 2.0-litre turbo and 2.5 motors don't meet Saab's strict targets, which would lessen the attraction to tax-conscious British company car buyers.

There is also a problem with cost. The equivalent five-door Subaru is priced at £20,495, but if Saab was to mirror that with the 9-2X, it would be too much of a crossover with the forthcoming 9-3 Sports-Hatch.

However, the biggest shock for Saab buyers will come from the interior. Only minor changes have been made to the Subaru cabin, and it's a far cry from the traditional ergonomic design used in the rest of the Saab range.

Production will start in spring 2004, with US sales beginning early in the summer. If a UK version gets the go-ahead, it could be in British dealerships by the second half of next year.
Considering the Saab 9-3 Linear is currently priced at $26,765 I have my bets on the new Saab being priced just a titch over(if that) the current Impreza WRX wagon of $24,545. This is going to be one sexy sports wagon!
Old 10-23-2003, 12:06 PM
boostmonkey

So instead of a Ford Taurus, you can now get a Mercury Sable? Hot damn!
Old 10-23-2003, 01:03 PM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks nice. Impreza with european styling. I'd like to see some more pictures.
Old 10-23-2003, 02:51 PM
Tom
Strict Machine

i like it!
Old 10-23-2003, 03:49 PM
is cooler than you

Those are sex.

Old 10-23-2003, 03:50 PM
vw/audi

oh yeah.. that looks gourgeous!
Old 10-23-2003, 05:25 PM
Livin' in Seattle

I'm diggin' it.
Old 10-23-2003, 05:29 PM
danse

The question is, how much of the Impreza mods will bolt up? i'm guessing not many, but it would be fun to see people put these in teh 12s a week after they come out.

Want to know what the war in Iraq is really costing America? Click here
Old 10-23-2003, 05:51 PM
1337 H4x0r

Originally posted by TampaWRX
The question is, how much of the Impreza mods will bolt up? i'm guessing not many, but it would be fun to see people put these in teh 12s a week after they come out.
I'm guessing and willing to be $1.00 that 99% of everything that works on the WRX will bolt directly on to the new Saab.