General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Crank Case Ventilation Qs

Old 09-10-2003, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I said atmospheric pressure is fine but as mentioned by Mars, the lower the better.

The way a normal PCV system is supposed to work is for the engine vaccume to draw air out from one side of the crankcase and for fresh air to go in the other side through the PCV filter and ventilate the nasty gasses so oil contamination is reduced.

When engines get old this system usually just gets to the point where in intake side of the PCV system can never generate enough flow to combat the blowby past the rings and the crankcase is never really ventilated and the PCV filter becomes an oil geiser instead of a clean air intake for the crankcase.

A dry sump system like my car uses effectively has two or more oil pumps. One pump sucks all the accumulating oil out of the engine and returns it (along with a lot of air since the pump flows more volume than is being fed into the engine) to an oil resevoir. The other pump is the actual pump that feeds lubrication oil to the motor from the oil tank.

This system is usually able to flow enough air and oil to where the fresh air vent for the crankcase is usually always sucking in fresh air and keeping the engine and oil mist relatively free of contamination from blowby gasses.
Old 09-12-2003, 05:52 PM
Forever Broke Nissan

so youre saying i have basically two pcv hole thingies. [dont bash] my honda has one on the valve cover and gets vaccum via the intake. now from what i am gathering the should be a hole whole for incoming stuff, so where would the other be. Thats basically what i am understanding right now.

and with a dry sump oil pan, do you have to get a new, more shallow pan and run oil lines to the pump. please explain how i would be able to rig a dry sump system up. less windage is better along with lower crank case pressure right?

Old 09-12-2003, 09:36 PM

Not unless it was built that way or if you were going to build an all out race car would you ever concider chaning a car over to a dry sump system.
Old 09-13-2003, 11:38 AM
Forever Broke Nissan

well i basically am building one. see my motor sits at a slant. the bottom is more towards the front and the top more towards the firewall for crash testing reasons. but this means under high accelerating Gs the oil will start moving from the oil pan and into the block creating the unwanted windage. i want to get rid of that.
also i want to do road racing too and dont want the oil sloshing around. my car sits too low for a 5qt and if i did that i wouldnt have room for a down pipe, then i would bottom out the oil pan all the time. pretty much want to build an application that can handle beeing at 5,000-7,000rpm all day.