Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

1995 5.0 vert: no power to fuel pump after washing under the hood

Old 05-27-2003, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 5.0 vert: no power to fuel pump after washing under the hood

A coworker decided to cleanup under the hood of his 95 5.0 and seems to have created a big problem for himself with too much water. Since he did this the car won't start. I've already diagnosed it to the point where I know that the fuel pump is not getting power (the relay isn't even getting the signal to turn it on) I'm hoping there is common failure that someone can clue me in on. I've checked all the relays and fuses and they appear to be working fine. What ever the problem is..it seems to be between the computer and the relay for the pump. We ran the diagnostic to get codes and found a 542 (open circuit from PCM to motor) so it's got to be a componant or wiring somewhere in the loop. It has some sort of module up front near the radiator that I believe is involved but the Haynes schematics leave alot to be desired. We're ordering the Helm today but I'm hoping someone will have a suggestion to get us going again or some schematics for the fuel system so I can trace it out.

1994 Firebird 3.4L V6
Favorite Mod: 1993 Z28 Drivetrain
Old 05-27-2003, 03:04 PM

Best thing to do is just check all the wires, make sure they all have good connections. Only other thing, is smoke it out.... but thats a last resort situation..

Sn95' Tripple Black Cobra
Mods:Heads/Cam/Intake/Exhaust...just your typical stock mustang...
Old 05-28-2003, 05:01 AM

Smoke it out???

It's getting spark as we were able to get it running by spraying fuel into the throttle body.

1994 Firebird 3.4L V6
Old 05-28-2003, 09:54 AM

No power to the pump = no fuel pressure....doesn't matter what the injectors are doing until theres fuel in the rail. Ordered the Helm manual today and picked up a pin-out for the CCRM so now I can test the circuit.

Thanks for the help...hopefully things will be simple from here.

1994 Firebird 3.4L V6