Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

97 mustang problems?

Old 02-13-2003, 03:21 PM
Tu Madre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 mustang problems?

Im thinking about getting a 97 style mustang and i was wondering if there are any common mechanical or electrical problems i should be aware of beforehand
Old 02-13-2003, 03:26 PM
drives euro trash

3.8l V6 = head gasket problems
SOHC 4.6 = slow turd
DOHC 4.6 = decent car
Old 02-13-2003, 03:29 PM
Tu Madre

by the way, its the v8 model im lookin at, not the v6
Old 02-13-2003, 04:49 PM
Got Mod Motor?

96 to 98 4.6L GT's are notoriuosly underpowered compared to the 99+, due to introduction of the Power Improved (PI) heads in 99. The advantage would be a head swap on the 96-98, because you could pick up some compression. By all means not a bad car, but you would need to throw some money at it to get some decent HP out of it, especially if you are looking at some form of power adder. Search stangnet and corral for more info.
Old 02-13-2003, 04:52 PM
Tu Madre

but no real mechanical problems that you know of?
Old 02-13-2003, 10:29 PM
whoopdy fucking do!

i own a 97 gt..... i have spun a bearing, the rear sway bar will snap on you ... but besides that she has been a trooper..... the heads should be swapped as well for the best results.....it's a ton of power for about 1k.....

also remember the car stock does fall into the terd catagory..... so if you'r not gonna madify it go with a newer 99 up stang or a cobra....
Old 02-14-2003, 06:23 AM

I was rather pleased with mine. I am pretty sure I put more stress on my rear sway than stangerang... or most other people since I autocrossed the hell out of it and some limited RR.

It responds well to $ being put into it. From stock to good-n-modified you dont spend nearly as much money as you would for most ricers of the same performance. If you plan on putting $$ into it though, go ahead and get a 99 and have a fresher car with more HP out of the box.

I prefer the 94-98 bodystyle though, and that might be your factor too. the two websites he listed are great examples of where to look.

check www.inductionconcepts.com
big smiley
Old 02-14-2003, 06:18 PM
Driver

I have a 98 Gt and all my problems have been small and have been aftermarket related but it is underpowered for what i have done to it because i dont have the P.I heads on it YET! If you do get it i recommend this as your first mod. I have not broken my rear swaybar on it but i did break it on my 95. As i found out last night the intake manifolds break easily (which there was a recall on this from what i have been told) when my friend broke his at Test N Tune on his 98Gt.
Old 02-14-2003, 06:27 PM
whoopdy fucking do!

the intake is recalled, and the fan shroud bracket and there was one on the e barke... it is just an adjustment ..

they need to have one on the rear sway bar..... everyone i know has snapped theres..... especially after you lower the car .....

once you lower the car it is just a matter of time before it breaks