Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

Back to the Shop

Old 02-04-2003, 10:42 AM
drives euro trash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back to the Shop

Tomorrow the Focus goes back to the shop to get the new clutch it has been needing for the past 25k miles. The excessive clutch chatter makes my car sound like a diesel. So she gets the new Sachs OEM replacement clutch and the 9.5lb aluminum flywheel that have been sitting in my closet for 3-4 months. Yippie.
Old 02-04-2003, 12:15 PM
boostmonkey

Will you be able to hear it hit Zetec again?
Old 02-04-2003, 05:42 PM
drives euro trash

Originally posted by "mustang23"

Hey Alan, what about the Queef differential, is that going in too?
Sold the Quaife about a month or so ago when I was 99% sure I was ditching my car. The other reason for not installing it is a lack of experience by any shop in the area. There are specific shims you have to use to insure all tolerances are factory spec. Without proper shimming, the transmission and that expensive differential will go kablooey. So I'll be peg-legging it around corners until a qualified/experienced shop can offer me a transmission with the Quaife properly installed.
Old 02-04-2003, 05:59 PM
boostmonkey

Bah, I am always selling...nobody is buying.
Old 02-04-2003, 06:11 PM
drives euro trash

wait, so you're not ditching that thing? Damn you (insert your's and Craig's last name here) are an indecisive bunch
Yeah yeah. If it were up to me, I would have gotten rid of the Focus months ago. I have been trying to work out financing a car with my budget, but there is really no way I can pull off car payments until I get a major salary increase. Plus I have realized that having a payed-off car means more money for other things.

I'm not going to go too crazy with the Focus. I'll probably go with a ported head, finish up my exhaust, get a chip, and call it quits. This car has to last a while as a daily driver, so I think its days of auto-xing will be extremely limited.
Old 02-04-2003, 06:46 PM
drives euro trash

If you want to port that head, we can arrange that . I've got a buddy that does exhaust too (I'd do it, but its MUCH easier with a lift)
Sweet. I may look into it.

Right now I can get a head/cams package that will increase my hp by about 40hp, and increase my torque by about 20ft/lbs with a chip and a race header (DYNO PROVEN). They deck the head, increasing my compression ratio from a 9.something to a 10.something. It looses a bit of low end below 3k, but after that I hear it is quite a screamer. This package comes to about $2000 ($300 core charge).

The other option is a ported head with stock cams installed/shimmed for $800 (Plus a core). Estimated gains of about 20hp with no sacrifice for torque. I can throw in an Esslinger intake cam for $240 that should yield another 10hp.