Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

Bad 02 sensors questions............

Old 10-06-2002, 07:14 PM
Got traction?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad 02 sensors questions............

I put LT's on the car and the passenger primary 02 sensor is about half way in(it's stripped) when I tried to put the sensor in. Well went to the track and my mph was alteast 2 mph lower than what it was with shorties. My friend had a autotap and plugged it in. It read "primary 02 sensor bank(1 or 2) can't remember and 02 sensor secondary banks 1 and 2. Now I know that the rears will always say that cause I don't have any cats. But I think my passenger side primary is bad or going bad.

Would this sensor cause the EEC to retard the timing and make it run rich? I made sure that the car was in close loop before racing. When I spoke to another guys there he said that once he put LT on his car it made it run rich. So I figured what the hec and I'll lean it out a bit. Well I did pick the mph. I haven't been on the dyno yet but I'm gonna try to fix this first. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks. -Mark
Old 10-06-2002, 10:45 PM
whoopdy fucking do!

well, it can throw your oxygen reading off.... any mod can.. you should get ew 02's and a new tune/chip.....

if the A/F is way off it should be throwing a check engine light......
Old 10-07-2002, 12:00 PM
Got traction?

Originally posted by "FordMan"

The A/F will tell the complete story. Ford contol units will always add more fuel when a o2 goes on the blink to make sure there is not a lean condition, my Crown Vic. did it.

I do not know about retarding the timing too. Make sure none of the wires going into the o2 sensor are rubbing on anything or are freyed which would cause the sensor to ground out.

BTW how was the turnout for your MMTB track day ?
Well I didn't get an exact count on the number of cars racing but I did see a car with the number 91 on it. I was #57.

Anyone got any spare o2 sensors laying around?

Jeff- Thanks. Looks like I need another tune. I guess this time I might bite the bullet and get a chip. -Mark