Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

HELP My car sounds like a boat!

Old 10-05-2002, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP My car sounds like a boat!

Today me and a friend installed a Mac o/r Hpipe on my car. I must say it is one of the hardest things I have everdone mechanicly. Anyway on to the problem: When I got the Mac hpipe on, everything lined up fine with a little force. the header bolts is where the problem is, especially on the passenger side where I couldn't even get the bottom one all the way down. Now it sounds like I am running open headers. What place is open on Sunday that can tighten them for me. I am guessing it will only cost a few bucks?

Thanks
Old 10-05-2002, 04:42 PM
drives euro trash

Best thing to do is to keep both halves separated. Line up each side to where it makes a seal with the header, then clamp the H-pipe portion together. I'm not sure how the header flanges are on the modular motors, but I think one side may need some high-temp RTV gasket maker.

Do both header collectors look like this:

If so, you just need to mess around with it until you can get both bolts tightened. If one side is NOT like the collector pictured above, you will need a gasket as I mentioned before.
Old 10-05-2002, 05:02 PM
boostmonkey

Airtools would help as well. Ya can't beat an impact wrench with a 3 foot long extention for h-pipe installs.
Old 10-05-2002, 07:13 PM

Its not that I couldn't get them tight enough, its just that I could never get a good enough angle to get the the nut all the way down. Is Rainbow Muffler open on Sundays?
Old 10-05-2002, 09:48 PM
drives euro trash

Originally posted by "V8Power"

Its not that I couldn't get them tight enough, its just that I could never get a good enough angle to get the the nut all the way down. Is Rainbow Muffler open on Sundays?
They won't touch anything that eliminates the cats. Looks like you'll have to wait until Monday to get to a Mustang shop that can take care of that for you.

Try different combonations of extensions and those flex joints. You'd be amazed at what can get you to a bolt. Or get a mechanically skilled friend to take a look at it and see if he/she can get a better angle on the bolt. Sometimes another head can see a route or angle that you missed to get to that bolt.
Old 10-06-2002, 05:17 AM

I thought since the I took the cats off then they have no responsibility towards it? I'll try again but I really want to get it fixed today. Can anyone on this board help me out today?