Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

Drag vs. Auto-X

Old 07-18-2002, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two very different forms of motorsport , can't compare......both are great in different ways. The term " apples and oranges comes to mind " [road racing= all rolled into one ]
Old 07-18-2002, 10:34 PM
The one punch machine gun

Originally posted by "sloaccord"

i think of it as sex. Both are fun. . . . but it's always better when it lasts longer. autocross.
i agree that is exactly what i was goin to say
Old 07-18-2002, 10:56 PM
Eat soot

Originally posted by "FordMan"

Originally Posted by leadfootedfool
Not even a debate. Autox all driver. Drag all car.
Drag all car ?

Hardly.
Now seriously, if i build an autox tube car, and is capable of running 45 sec, times could range from 45 to 1:30

Build a drag car that runs 9's car could run 10's easily with a much less capable driver.

I'm not saying skill isn't involved in drag, it's just less significant than an autox car.
Old 07-18-2002, 11:14 PM
TR Registered Member #5

i like both, but by a hair more i like autoX. I just like turning fast and doing it thru i course, i always have. even with the built motor in and the car running 11s, i will still take it to the auto X (under low boost though of course). its just really not words to put to it til you try it then you wont need an explaination.

Editor - Stangtv.com - Dragzine.com

2011 Mustang GT Premium 6-speed manual Sterling Gray Metallic - New Project Car
SCT SF3 - FRPP Adjustable Handling Pack - Vortech 597 RWHP 476 lb/ft - 7.5 PSI

1965 Mustang - Blow thru Dart SBF 427ci with a Paxton NOVI-2500
Hydraulic roller, 91 octane, 1030HP

Old 07-18-2002, 11:21 PM
FR Pilot

Auto-X all the way....

Drag racing is boring...
Old 07-18-2002, 11:45 PM

https://www.tamparacing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=28410 ...see whiteteg
Old 07-19-2002, 08:47 AM
Ricer In Training

Originally posted by "Shin180sx"

Auto-X all the way....

Drag racing is boring...

Apperantly you've never ridden in anything else but rice mobiles. Have you ever been in a car that pulls the tires so high all you see is sky or when it's accelarating it puts you back in your seat so hard you won't be able to reach for the dash board. Try controlling a 800+ hp car in a straight line if you think it's so easy.

The swapped hatch hotness

Slow Five-Oh Rustang
Old 07-19-2002, 10:45 AM
Nohatch2000

i gotta say im totally with jon on this one. both are nice and fun but my heart will always be with raw horsepower

-Adam
Old 07-19-2002, 11:28 AM

Who is the idiot that started trying to make autoX or drag race a domestic versus import thing, and the whole high horsepower thing is totally invalid.

Apparently a 450hp Viper, or a 405hp corvette is incapable of being a decent car in the drag racer's eyes.

A high horsepower car is jsut as useful on either circuit... be it the straaight line or the very curvy one. YOU STILL LAUNCH in either case, so autoX has the same FIRST principle of drag racing. And most of you have never been to a prosolo... which is a mirror autoX course with a TREE for starting the two cars that run head to head, so there's your R/T.
But wait!!! there's more. In drag racing you have to time your shifts just right to maximize the power you put down. The Same in AutoX, except you have to down shift as well, which is FAR HARDER than upshifting when you are trying to maintain an RPM band.

thn there is braking, which is non existant in drag racing. and the whole turning thing. never mind that.

Now just in case you mean REALLY high horsepower cars like, 800 to 1000ish (because there ARE 600+HP autoX cars) then that's jsut dumb, because the whole autoX vs drag racing thing in my opinion is about street cars or streetable cars.
Of course you could start comparing Formula cars to Alcohol dragsters and try to validate your point, but NO ONE has these cars who is in this discussion.

I maybe a little impartial.

disclaimer: I imagine it is exciting to have a 150mph trap speed.