Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

This Friday another exciting header installation m

Old 05-19-2002, 07:41 PM
Red Stripe Beer!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have header installation on a 1997 Gt auto experience? More helpful hands is needed to more heads the better.. So far its just 4.6power and possibly Tony anyone else? Start late around 4:00pm on Friday and Im gonna work on it till the fugger is done . Which would probably take the whole Saturday and possibly Sunday morning.

1997 GT: Mods: 180 Degree Thermostat, Flowmaster 2 Chambers, MAC O/R H Pipe, MAC Cold Air Intake w/K&N Filter, 75mm Ported Upper Intake w/ 75mm BBK Throttle Body, Screamin Demon Coils with Livewires

1997 GT: has front end damage still drives FOR SALE
AIM:OmFgStFu
Old 05-20-2002, 08:00 AM
Red Stripe Beer!

Its possible I believe I dont have 300 to 500 bucks to drop on something that anyone could do just need time. All the bolts can be reached with extensions and a swivel but some need a wrench only problem is the o2 sensor wires need to be entended. I would buy a harness extender but I cant fuggin find one.

1997 GT: Mods: 180 Degree Thermostat, Flowmaster 2 Chambers, MAC O/R H Pipe, MAC Cold Air Intake w/K&N Filter, 75mm Ported Upper Intake w/ 75mm BBK Throttle Body, Screamin Demon Coils with Livewires

Old 05-20-2002, 08:19 AM
Shake n' Bake

id help you but i have no experience with a 4.6 and what are you doin it on are you just gonna jack it up in the driveway.

Old 05-20-2002, 09:29 AM
whoopdy fucking do!

ill help ya if i dont end up working on another car or mine......
Old 05-20-2002, 09:40 AM
I like beer.

Originally posted by "Someone"

Originally posted by Fordman
This is not intended to be a flame but you need to wake up and realize that it is not going to happen especially in your driveway.

Dave and I just did mine yesterday and it took us 2 hours. Keep in mind Dave knows every size to every nut and bolt under the hood without looking and I have pretty good skills too. Dave also knows where you need to access everything from every possible angle and what needs to be removed. So this saved us many hours.

Once again this took us 2 hours and my car has literally nothing in the way under the hood and a manual trans.. I could not believe the shit that had to be moved to get this done. And now it is complete the steering shaft is almost rubbing the inside of the drivers side header because it is so close.

Just bite the bullet and have someone do it before another month goes by.
This is not a flame but you need to realize that its not that hard. Myself and Dave(tampa99gt) did my longtubes on my 4v in the course of 2 days. This was with us going into this blind. no info what so ever and in my garage. It wouldnt have taken us that long if it werent for little snags along the way. After looking at Daves 2v when we put his motor in his headers are gonna be a piece of cake compared to mine. Although this is a 5 speed car and not an auto I dont see there being too much issue with the install. I believe you can get O2 extenders at any Ford dealer if not cut them and solder them to make them longer. The bolts on the 2vs are very easy to reach. Since my header install Ive pulled my longtubes 2x since then for maintenance(pulled the tranny twice passenger side has to come out and replaced drivers side header gasket). I can now do headers on a 4.6 in my sleep. If Im up to it I may come and help. It depends how I feel after work.
Old 05-20-2002, 10:17 AM
Shake n' Bake

Where in tampa are you and do you have all the tools you need?

Old 05-20-2002, 11:24 AM
Red Stripe Beer!

Thats cool getting some people to help me that did them alot I live off of Sligh and 22nd Ill give more info to the people that wanna help out. If u cant make it friday maybe saturday you can help. I believe this is whats needed:
18mm socket deep and regular
3/8 and 1/4 drive socket set
1/4 ratchet a must
13mm open end box end wrench 7/8 wrench
461224in 3/8 dr extensions3/8 and 1/4 swivel ext.
2in 1/4 extension
pull handle
I dont have long extensions a pull handle whatever that is and I think a 18mm deep socket but its best to bring any tools Thanks Ford peeps!

Old 05-20-2002, 11:29 AM
Red Stripe Beer!

Originally posted by "Someone"

Originally posted by road rage
id help you but i have no experience with a 4.6 and what are you doin it on are you just gonna jack it up in the driveway.
Yup jack it up and try to jack the motor up if that doesnt work I guess its the K member off but I wanna advoid that option. It might come down to the removal of the K member but I read tech articles that it was done both ways just some areas u need to use a wrench and not a socket..