Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

Fellow mustang guys, Please HELP!

Old 01-30-2010, 01:42 PM
Rockin' 4 more Cylinders

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fellow mustang guys, Please HELP!

Ok, Oviously im new to fords HOWEVER, i am NOT new to wiring. My delima is this.

Car is a 86 true GT, stock 5.0 w/ BPU's. Now the problem. WHen i picked the car up off a friend of mine he said the fired the car up and it just STOPPED running, NOW i dont belive him. I think he bought the car as is and it never ran since he bought it and he never had it Turn over.

Now, i picked up a new starter solinioid (the on that has the Hot wires running to it on the driver side inner fender. I THINK i have the wired hooked up correctly as i am getting power in the cabin IE: Headlights work, guages move, fuel pump kits on ETC ETC. HOWEVER, when i turn the key over it doe NOTHING, no click no nothing. So i took the upper covers off he steering column to check out the wires and it seems that the main plug that plugs into the part of the igniton that acually slides back and fourth when the key turns over was loose, so i clicked it back in place and made sure it was tight. However STILL nothing.

ALso, i need to know what wires that run to that solinoid are what. I know which ones are the starter wires ( the big power and the small black one ) and i have the MAIN power wire from the battery, and the COIL power wire i know of. BUT there are 2 wires that run together with a O crimp w/ a fuseable OEM looking splice that splice the 2 together( Are these for the fuel system and is what powers the fuel pump and fuel system Etc etc? ) and i have a single wire that i know when i plug it to constant power THEN the interior and headlights work. I NEED to know which wire comes from the ignition to activate the solinoid that makes the starter enguage. also there is a random what LOOKS like a ground just hangin around too.

Basicly a GOOD diagram would help as well as pics of this entire location and what wires go where.

It's a stock motor with like i said just basic bolt ons, and i want to get it running smoothly because i bought a Vortec S trim and i want to install it but i need to get all this BS takin care of.

IF someone could get me some stock pics of the wiring at that solinod and under the dash as well as a schematic would be AWESOME.

I am not new to cars nor am i new to troubleshooting and im very car literate, i just need some help because im ready to START my new FORD life

Any help would Be GREATLY appreciated , and ALSO im in plant city if there is anyone ini the area that would like to come by my shop and help that would be awesome too.

THanks alot guys.

_Jake

ALso: Im almost to the point where im about to yank EVERYHING out and jusr Carb' the car and run everything to a Painless fuse box and switches BUT i would like to have it OEM.

_Jake D
Old 01-30-2010, 02:21 PM
Called the amba lamps

Mustang FAQ - Engine Information

Bookmark it, favorite it.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:35 PM
Rockin' 4 more Cylinders

Originally Posted by **CHRIS**
Mustang FAQ - Engine Information

Bookmark it, favorite it.
you da man!

_Jake D
Old 01-31-2010, 11:22 PM
Rockin' 4 more Cylinders

Ok guys, i figured out why my starter solinoid was not getting power, it was the clutch switch( i used the diagrams to trace back to points in the car where switch's were to that Red w/ green wire) so i have the car able to turn over w/ the key now.

But i have a new problem, the car turns over but even when i turn the key off AND disconnect the bypassed clutch relay wire the starter WILL NOT STOP CRANKING, Unless i pull the main power, then once the main power is reconnected it stops until i try cranking again.

Now, i tested the red/Grn wire that runs to the solinoid after i turn the key forward and the starter starts cranking and the reason why it wont stop is because that wire continues to get 12v???

I belive there must be a short somewhere but im not sure if this is a common problem w/ mustangs and its just some stupid fix. i would like to get your guys imput before i start tearing out wiring harnesses looking for a burn/short.

Ive even considered running the wire straight from the igniton switch to the starter solinoid as from that point the only switch in between the 2 is the nuatral lock out and clutch lock out.

thanks ahead of time

_Jake D

_Jake D
Old 02-01-2010, 02:47 AM
Bondsman

Originally Posted by Cold_Beer
But i have a new problem, the car turns over but even when i turn the key off AND disconnect the bypassed clutch relay wire the starter WILL NOT STOP CRANKING, Unless i pull the main power, then once the main power is reconnected it stops until i try cranking again.
_Jake D
Either the solonoid is stuck or the cables from battery / starter is on the wrong side of the LARGE terminals of the solonoid

Check the red/green wire on the solonoid (small post) with a test light. It should only be hot when you hold the key to start and not hot when you let of the key. You need 2 people or a long test light. If thats good then its either the solonoid or cables on the wrong posts. HTH

Last edited by GNs-r-slow; 02-01-2010 at 02:50 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:48 AM
What?

+1 those solonoids love to stick open
Old 02-01-2010, 01:11 PM
Rockin' 4 more Cylinders

it's not the solonoid because i tested the red/grn wire and even AFTER i let the key off it's sending 12v which is whats causing it to stay open, then after i take the power from it and reconnect power the red/grn stops getting 12v until i turn the key over again....

my guess is there is a short somewhere... imma have to tear thru the damn wiring i reckon.

_Jake D
Old 02-02-2010, 04:55 PM
The lost pony

that switch on the colum could be bad they are cheap. like 15.00 at advance or autozone. or it could be out of adjustment it slides up and down on the colum. also what starter is on the car? the early starters only need 1 wire. the newer ones have another solenoid on the starter itself.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:10 PM
Rockin' 4 more Cylinders

I got it fixed, turns out the damn BRAND NEW soleinoid i bought was bad! Thats Advance for yah. NAPA came thru for me though!

_Jake D
Old 02-03-2010, 09:12 PM
Rockin' 4 more Cylinders

Originally Posted by barry bledsoe
also what starter is on the car? the early starters only need 1 wire. the newer ones have another solenoid on the starter itself.
yeah i went thru that too, i bought a damn OEM starter for the 86gt when it just went out and it was a big starter and i wired it up ( the car had a mini starter on it before) turns out it hit the damn 1in7/8 primary headers so i had to go back to a mini

_Jake D