Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

4.6L 2v options.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BADP71
400 is what I was looking to have at MAX.. the 02 - 03 has stronger internals on the 2v if i recall correctly.

I was thinking about staying the FI route.. but I am not sure yet. either way I'm going to need to replace my manifold , and I try to replace with upgraded stuff when I can. I have a couple weeks to think about this. Thank you for your input.
ALL,. (repeat) ```` ALL ' ' ' ' 1993 - 2004 2v AND 4V 4.6 engines (Except 03/04 Cobra) use the same powdered metal/cracked cap rods and hyperuectic pistons. The whole windsor vs romeo, 6 bolt crank vs 8 bolt crank theorists dont know their ass from a hole in the ground. ALL 4.6 engines with factory internals become ticking time bombs after 425 RWHP PERIOD. That means all 96 - 04 Mustang GT, 96 - 01 Cobra, Mach1, Marauder, Aviator, F150, Crown Vic, Mark 8, Town Car, Explorer,.. any that have the 4.6 all have the same rods and pistons. All 4v engines with a manual tranny got forged cranks,.. but any 4v with automatic (Mach 1 and Marauder included) have cast cranks. Nothing wrong with a cast crank. Just stating for the record.

Hurst

Originally Posted by Tiffiny
"We all heart the Hurst"
Old 11-08-2009, 07:58 PM

I would imagine that the carb mod would make more hp with any intake just sayin
and easier to tune...would love to try one oneday

I agree,.. I would love build a 4.6 carb'd motor for a Fox Mustang. I think it would be kick ass. But to take an existing 4.6 in a Mustang and convert it to carb under the sole premise of making 400hp is kind of pointless.

Hurst

"We all heart the Hurst"
Old 11-08-2009, 08:02 PM
I can fix your bullshit

Originally Posted by Hurstmeister
I agree,.. I would love build a 4.6 carb'd motor for a Fox Mustang. I think it would be kick ass. But to take an existing 4.6 in a Mustang and convert it to carb under the sole premise of making 400hp is kind of pointless.

Hurst

no doubt pointless but i would bet 400 hundred horses would be easier with a carb
Old 11-08-2009, 08:12 PM
I can fix your bullshit

doesnt msd make a dizzy that runs off the cam through the front of the v/c
Old 11-08-2009, 08:26 PM

no doubt pointless but i would bet 400 hundred horses would be easier with a carb

Your thinking with the old 5.0 carb vs EFI mentality.
In which case I would agree with you 100%. Much easier with carb.

400hp for an EFI 4.6 is very simple to do and with modest tuning to ensure its not lean will run and drive as clean as stock. Just not going to do with with out some form of power adder.

The 4.6 is a different animal. First off the 2v GT motors barely make 250 - 270 RWHP using every single bolt on, long tube headers and off road exhaust. With head porting and cams they barely eclipse 290 - 330 RWHP. For them to go beyond 330 RWHP NA takes a lot of money (machine work) and some light weight trick parts and even then its unlikely they will see 400 RWHP. In order for him to see 400hp NA he would need to drop in a 4v.

Hurst

"We all heart the Hurst"
Old 11-08-2009, 08:32 PM

doesnt msd make a dizzy that runs off the cam through the front of the v/c

Yes but requires some custom work.
Its a belt setup that runs off the crank.

They make a stand alone DIS box that plugs into the ports for the crank triggers. Mount it on your firewall or fender and its a simple plug an play unit. Just like setting up a digital 6 box. Just as simple. And can be used along side with the EFI still functional. That way dont need to go to a tuner all the time for timing work. And its only $500. The other dizzy setup IIRC is over $1000 for the kit.

EDIT:
This is the one I am talking about. It can even use vac advance or you can disable vac advance and set it up to act like a mechanical advance with different settings at each RPM level. The price has come down also,.. its only $485 now.
http://www.msdignition.com/Products/...4.6L/5.4L.aspx

MSD part# 6011

Hurst

"We all heart the Hurst"

Last edited by Hurstmeister; 11-08-2009 at 08:44 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:22 AM
Bondsman

This looks pretty sweet
Old 11-09-2009, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by GNs-r-slow

This looks pretty sweet
Hell yeah. I so want to do one in a Fox.. it would be cake. Actually that looks like a fox firewall.

There was a guy at DH9. He was from south Fla,.. WPB area. He's on N2S,.. not sure if he's here on TR or not,.. I doubt it. But he has a 99 Cobra converted using the Kar Kraft adapter plates that allow any SBF manifold to work on a 4.6 and he was using a Weiand tunnel ram intake with dual 480 Holleys on it. It looked so bad ass. He had braided lines, chrome catch can, chrome electric vacuum pump, a lot of trick parts. I was drooling all over it and kicking myself for not having my camera with me. He said he was making 380 on motor and 550 on spray. Pretty damn respectable for a little baby 4.6.

Hurst

"We all heart the Hurst"
Old 11-09-2009, 05:17 AM

i was putting down pretty good numbers for maxed injectors with no timing.. im really looking forward to the new injectors and tuning.. she starts leaning out around 5k rpms.. i would LOVE to have that vic jr intake mani with my set-up.. the PI intake is holding the motor back so much..

i have another PI intake mani that needs the heater hose nipple jb welded in.. ive seen it done without leaks.. if you want to try it you can have the intake for 40 bucks or so.. its just sitting here.. it has the aluminum crossover too.. let me know if you want to try it..
Old 11-09-2009, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by MrNiceGuy
i was putting down pretty good numbers for maxed injectors with no timing.. im really looking forward to the new injectors and tuning.. she starts leaning out around 5k rpms.. i would LOVE to have that vic jr intake mani with my set-up.. the PI intake is holding the motor back so much..

i have another PI intake mani that needs the heater hose nipple jb welded in.. ive seen it done without leaks.. if you want to try it you can have the intake for 40 bucks or so.. its just sitting here.. it has the aluminum crossover too.. let me know if you want to try it..
I know a guy in Md that was making 580 to the ground with 2v heads and the stock PI intake. Sean Hyland and Joe Papitto say the PI intake doesnt become a bottle neck until your pushing 500hp when using a turbo or blower application. I'm looking for where I read it so I can post a link.

Hurst

"We all heart the Hurst"