Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

Is this a problem for 5.0's or is it just mine

Old 07-22-2009, 02:06 AM
A.T.F.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a problem for 5.0's or is it just mine

SO I have a 87 Mustang GT here is the back story, it has been in the garage in Lakeland sense before I even left for the Army witch puts it at about, holy crap I just realized it has been there for 9 years wow. But what had happened is one day it just stoped running in the middle of driving it to a friends house, took it home and there was no power to the Fuel pump, checked the front of the car and it had power at the front end but not at the back so I just ran a new wire and a switch and it ran again. Then about 5 weeks later the tail lights went out and once again the same thing no power to the wiring in the rear but still had it in the front. And so I said fuck it and put it in the garage and started putting parts on it, then one day after switching out the Rocker Arms, Push rods, and Lifters I went to start it up after the install and nothing,.... Murphy got me again. Here is what was tried until I just said fuck it: everything was pulled out checked then reinstalled again Lifters where pumped with oil before I put them in. Tried changing the Alternator, Battery, Coil, Plugs, Distributor, and Wires all from a running 88 mustang. So my Question is, is there just a wiring problem in the 87 5.0's that I dont know about, and would spending the 800 for a painless wiring setup have a good chance of fixing it, Iam also going to be paying to have it done I dont have a lot of time to mess with cars much lately because of my line of work. Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

2006 8.0L Up Armored Suburban
2000 Integra LS
Old 07-22-2009, 03:30 AM
One Sick Saleen

an issue like that i suggest getting the painless and having someone install it and at the same time whoever installs it should be looking for the issue, it sould be something as simple as a wire that either broke or is wearing somewhere in the car, every time the car moves myabe there is a wire that is rubbing something and then it wears the coating off the wire down to the copper and then the copper touches and grounds out then causes all hell to break loose, atleast thats what happened in my 94. good luck with it man and yes the painless is a good idea.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:49 AM
Blasphemer

Sounds like wiring gremlins. Fuck em'. Thats the only thing I wont even bother attempting to fix on my car without stripping the whole thing down and running new wiring to everything. Something like that I agree with saleen up there.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:49 AM
banana republic

Originally Posted by jchauncey
Sounds like wiring gremlins. Fuck em'. Thats the only thing I wont even bother attempting to fix on my car without stripping the whole thing down and running new wiring to everything. Something like that I agree with saleen up there.
Same here. I don't do anything with wiring. I hate it. Dave at Genium Performance can help you out though.

It's probably just from letting it sit so long.

Originally Posted by rotarykidd
maybe i just like rainbows and puke, who says it has to be a gay thing?
Old 07-22-2009, 10:33 AM
Blasphemer

Yeah, when cars sit and even when they are driven on a regular basis, the rubber insulation in the wiring and electrical components just goes bad over time. It gets brittle and then has a tendency to develop cracks. Especially if its sitting in heat.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:52 AM
POTENTIALLY FAST

call me, I've got a friend in lakeland with a shop, but he prefers to work on mustangs, has built a lot of fast cars, he can probably find the probably quite inexpensively.
I'll pm my number
Old 07-22-2009, 09:07 PM
A.T.F.

Default yep

Thanks for the help, that is what I was thinking my self but was not sure if its a reagular thing that happens or not but I plan on getting in tuch with Racingrick as well as calling Genium Performance. I am not to worried about price so much as I am worried about the problem being fixed and fixed for good. Once again thanks for all the input.

2000 Integra LS
Old 08-02-2009, 10:31 AM
A.T.F.

well I ended up getting it taken to Genium Performance good reviews and he seams like a good guy to work with, not saying anyone else is not its just my preference.

2000 Integra LS
Old 08-02-2009, 03:45 PM
Bondsman

Is Dave still working on it? What ended up being the issue?
Old 08-03-2009, 12:57 AM
A.T.F.

Its was just dropped off on Saturday, I figure its going to take a bit of working on to get it fixed and yes Dave is workin on it.

2000 Integra LS