Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

axle tube leaking

Old 02-17-2002, 07:32 PM
Got traction?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well when I went to BMP today I noticed that my drivers side axle bearing has gear oil leaking out of it onto my rim. Now I know it wont come out as long as I dont turn. But how soon should I change this? I will be installing a whole new rear end maybe end of this week. Any ideas? Thanks. -Mark
Old 02-18-2002, 08:22 PM
Got traction?

Scott no. I was only regular radials. But last time I went to BMP(october) I was on nittos and they hooked. I think I started the prob there. What will happen if the pumpkin gets real low on gear oil?
-Mark
Old 02-18-2002, 09:27 PM
Got traction?

yes I know what they are. According to a sanctioned event u must have them if running slicks. If u break an axle they prohibit the axle from coming out. They are just behind the rear breaks. But I do not have them but I am leaking gear oil. So I guess when I launched w/ nittos that may have warped/bent or whatever but now the rear leaks. -Mark
Old 02-19-2002, 11:45 AM
AuH20 in '64

Axle tube bearings are a relatively simple fix...I rebuilt the whole goddamn hub assembly in the new-to-me axle I swapped in the front of my truck. Look at how much fluid there is leaking....does it look like a slow gradual leak (which Im sure it is) then dont worry about it too much if you are swinging a new rear end under it soon...just go buy another bottle of gear lube and keep filling it...you REALLY dont want that pumpkin to go dry....baaaaaaaaaaaaaad things happen very bad things.

Originally Posted by XYNaPSE
Article I Section 8 gives Congress the power to do whatever Congress deems necessary.
Old 02-19-2002, 12:07 PM
Red Stripe Beer!

Seriously?

1997 GT: Mods: 180 Degree Thermostat, Flowmaster 2 Chambers, MAC O/R H Pipe, MAC Cold Air Intake w/K&N Filter, 75mm Ported Upper Intake w/ 75mm BBK Throttle Body, Screamin Demon Coils with Livewires

1997 GT: has front end damage still drives FOR SALE
AIM:OmFgStFu
Old 02-19-2002, 03:36 PM
AuH20 in '64

oh and the seals are cheap as hell too...Mine were like $6 each or something....just dont use force while putting them in....gradually tap them ever so slighty or you will warp them.

Originally Posted by XYNaPSE
Article I Section 8 gives Congress the power to do whatever Congress deems necessary.