Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

Rear/trunk mounted radiator?

Old 02-13-2009, 10:33 AM
Infidel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Rear/trunk mounted radiator?

Anyone have any experience with a radiator setup like this? With the 460 I'm trying to think of ways to lighten up the front end. I have a MKIII fan and I'm thinking of running an electric water pump (or one of these bad boys: http://www.daviescraig.com.au/main/display.asp?pid=47)
Thoughts?

Last edited by KAILUAZ; 02-13-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:28 AM

The problem I see with it is that it's not going to be receiving pushed air through it, like when it would be mounted in the front of the car.

It looks trick, but with all the rear-mounted cooling items I've ever seen, they usually utilize some sort of scoop or duct work that still takes in "pushed" or "forced" air from the vehicle's path of travel. IE: Toyota MR2's with the supercharged motor - the mid/rear platform, where the air scoops come out of the engine compartment up the rear pillar area and end there like just above the roof...

Old 02-13-2009, 12:07 PM
Infidel

Yeah I was thinking I could cut the trunk lid and make a scoop leading to radiator. I'm not sure how much air flow goes over the middle area of the trunk coming off the back window though.
Or I just found this pic from the Turbo Forums that has it mounted under the trunk area.

I think I should have just built a Rat Rod so the "Mustang" rules wouldn't apply haha.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:16 PM
is doing your girlfriend

im sure this has been discussed on CC.com would just need to figure out where to put the exhaust portion of the ducting so that it would suck air through the radiator.

One thing you would have to be careful of is making an inadvertant "sucker car", where your fans provide a slight amount of downforce. this could be viewed as "creative rule interpation a.k.a. cheating" by a sanctioning body.

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it
Old 02-13-2009, 12:20 PM
Infidel

Originally Posted by Duceanahalf
im sure this has been discussed on CC.com would just need to figure out where to put the exhaust portion of the ducting so that it would suck air through the radiator.

One thing you would have to be careful of is making an inadvertant "sucker car", where your fans provide a slight amount of downforce. this could be viewed as "creative rule interpation a.k.a. cheating" by a sanctioning body.
CC had one thread going on, of course they are concerned with a full race car and rules. Cooling Thoughts... - Corner-Carvers Forums

I'm not worried about rules or cheating
Old 02-13-2009, 12:35 PM
Race Photographer

sfl guy with an 03 cobra. Hes also on drift50.com The ducts run to the factory side scoops and I think he has the trunk vented as well. Though I cant remember if he uses jsut for the intercooler or radiator

"I am and what I do are not a taxable commodity for you to use and abuse" - Me

This is my fuck the government movement

Old 02-13-2009, 12:45 PM

/\ pretty wicked!
Old 02-13-2009, 12:45 PM
is doing your girlfriend

Originally Posted by KAILUAZ
CC had one thread going on, of course they are concerned with a full race car and rules. Cooling Thoughts... - Corner-Carvers Forums

I'm not worried about rules or cheating
well in that case. put a tall air dam and side skirts all around, cut out your trunk floor. and then pack the top of the trunk with the biggest most powerful fans you can find and put the radiator somewhere in the middle. this will make a poor mans Chaparral 2J
1970 Chaparral 2J - Images, Specifications and Information

there has actually been cases where people run rear mounted rads and have done somethign similar but have to change it after the sanctioning body said the fans were producing downforce.

as for the water pumping issue. look into what the desert racing trucks are doing about it. they have their radiators mounted on the roll cage behind the drivers head, they dont have to worry about airflow though since they have no windshield or back glass.

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it

Last edited by Duceanahalf; 02-13-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:21 PM
Team Geritol Racing

Yeah, that's what I'd want to do. Nothing like crashing and bashing around in the desert with a tank built out of the same stuff coke cans are and filled with scalding water mounted right behind my head. Of course this comes from a guy who jumped out of perfectly good airplanes more than 1000 times just for something to do.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:12 PM
Infidel

Thanks Mars, I found him over there and sent a PM.
DriftLive Community - View Profile: Rhythm_Drifting

I still think this one is bad ass!