Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

Most you can deck a block?

Old 01-12-2009, 11:31 AM
Got traction?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Most you can deck a block?

.010 is standard to get a clean surface but how much can you go? Keep in mind this is on a OHC motor. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by bitemark46
.010 is standard to get a clean surface but how much can you go? Keep in mind this is on a OHC motor. Thanks.

I had my PI heads decked .026. I know your talking about the block. But in either case,.. it would put the valves that much closer to the pistons.

As far as the block goes,.. I would imagine alot of it depends on the piston height and which pistons you plan to use.

Hurst

Originally Posted by Tiffiny
"We all heart the Hurst"
Old 01-12-2009, 01:19 PM
is doing your girlfriend

Originally Posted by Hurstmeister
I had my PI heads decked .026. I know your talking about the block. But in either case,.. it would put the valves that much closer to the pistons.

As far as the block goes,.. I would imagine alot of it depends on the piston height and which pistons you plan to use.

Hurst
also want to make sure you dont make it too thin above the water jackets

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it
Old 01-12-2009, 06:07 PM
Got traction?

The problem I have is at TDC the piston sits .120 in the hole and with flat tops I have an enemic 9.7:1 So it looks like I'll need off set wrist pin$ Damn it. lol

-Mark
Old 01-12-2009, 06:49 PM

The problem I have is at TDC the piston sits .120 in the hole and with flat tops I have an enemic 9.7:1 So it looks like I'll need off set wrist pin$ Damn it. lol

-Mark
Your looking for what,.. maybe 11:1?

You would gain maybe 10 - 15 hp NA with the compression bump,.. is that worth it? Or do you plan to spray the motor?

Hurst

"We all heart the Hurst"
Old 01-12-2009, 07:07 PM
Got traction?

Originally Posted by Hurstmeister
Your looking for what,.. maybe 11:1?

You would gain maybe 10 - 15 hp NA with the compression bump,.. is that worth it? Or do you plan to spray the motor?

Hurst
Yes. Looking for 11.1. This will be stricky a N/A setup. Trying to get to a certain # on the rollers so trying to squeeze every ounce out of it I can. Thanks.

-Mark
Old 01-12-2009, 07:12 PM
finally painted the car!

Yes. Looking for 11.1. This will be stricky a N/A setup. Trying to get to a certain # on the rollers so trying to squeeze every ounce out of it I can. Thanks.

-Mark
every ounce of weight you mean! c'mon mark, there has got to be some other place you can shave weight besides decking the block

Old 01-13-2009, 04:27 AM

I have not known any 4.6 pistons to sit that far in the hole, but if yours truly are, then your only real option to correct it is either a piston with a taller compression height, or a longer rod (or perhaps a crank with +.240 stroke . Offset wrist pins refer to a wrist bore that is off center of the piston centerline, to reduce rod angularity on the power stroke. They are not a solution to the problem you have. If you go decking a ton of material off the block, I think you will run into integrity issues, as well as cam timing issues. Unless you get adjustable cam gears, the more you take off the head and block, the more retarded your cam timing becomes. If you take off enough material, you may have timing cover fitment issues as well.

In my opinion, I would start paying attention at a total of .060 cut from both the head and block decks.

Brian
EFI-Unlimited

Last edited by EFI-Unlimited; 01-13-2009 at 04:32 AM.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by EFI-Unlimited
I have not known any 4.6 pistons to sit that far in the hole, but if yours truly are, then your only real option to correct it is either a piston with a taller compression height, or a longer rod (or perhaps a crank with +.240 stroke . Offset wrist pins refer to a wrist bore that is off center of the piston centerline, to reduce rod angularity on the power stroke. They are not a solution to the problem you have. If you go decking a ton of material off the block, I think you will run into integrity issues, as well as cam timing issues. Unless you get adjustable cam gears, the more you take off the head and block, the more retarded your cam timing becomes. If you take off enough material, you may have timing cover fitment issues as well.

In my opinion, I would start paying attention at a total of .060 cut from both the head and block decks.

Brian
EFI-Unlimited

I think he picked up a 5.4 motor and is putting the 4v heads on that.

Hurst

"We all heart the Hurst"
Old 01-13-2009, 04:17 PM

Oh, my mistake. Then they definitely are sitting low in the bore. Does no one make a flat top that will rise to the deck for the 5.4? I know you can get a 30cc dish that will. If not, maybe a custom rod or piston would be in order.

Brian
EFI-Unlimited