Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

Rear main seal

Old 01-05-2009, 10:49 AM
turbo probe lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear main seal

i Have a 89 frod probe gt turbo and when i got the oil changed last the techs said that i have a rear main seal leak and they didnt tell me any thing else i was wondering if any body had any clue on how to fix or if the could help me out on how to lokate and fix it my self

There is also some thing i noticed on the to of the engine everynow and then its hard to say but it sits in a little pocket next to the air intake and its right next to i think is a senser
Old 01-05-2009, 10:57 AM
Race Photographer

You have to remove the transmission to do the rear main seal. Depending how bad it is, you can just live with it unless you wanna pay to have to done or if its bad and spewing oil out, it wouldnt be a bad idea then. Just keep an eye on the oil level and check for drips when its sits for awhile.

no idea on the sensor

"I am and what I do are not a taxable commodity for you to use and abuse" - Me

This is my fuck the government movement

Old 01-05-2009, 11:06 AM
turbo probe lover

well my only problem is that it sits outside and not under a cover so ya but thanks i will see if i cant get any info on the senser part though
Old 01-10-2009, 05:20 AM
turbo probe lover

well i also figured out about the other oil spill it sits in a little pocket right next to the coolent level sensor. i think
Old 01-15-2009, 04:48 AM
The lost pony

those dipshits at the oil change place dont know shit. its probably dripping down from up top. where you see the puddle,time to get a flashlight and find out yourself before ripping into it. they may be right but I would not take their word.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:55 AM
turbo probe lover

Originally Posted by barry bledsoe
those dipshits at the oil change place dont know shit. its probably dripping down from up top. where you see the puddle,time to get a flashlight and find out yourself before ripping into it. they may be right but I would not take their word.

ok thanks for the input
Old 01-16-2009, 11:59 AM
Bondsman

Advice from experience....if you have a turbo car you will have leaks, You can rebuild the hole motor and replace every gasket and guarantee you when you put boost to it its gonna leak oil somewhere.
When I say leak thats not pouring, I'm speaking drips. Boost will push oil past the seals. Best way to try to control them for the most part is to be sure you have a good PCV and its hooked to a good vacum source. HTH
Old 01-28-2009, 11:47 PM
Where racing is a pleasur

Originally Posted by GNs-r-slow
Advice from experience....if you have a turbo car you will have leaks, You can rebuild the hole motor and replace every gasket and guarantee you when you put boost to it its gonna leak oil somewhere.
When I say leak thats not pouring, I'm speaking drips. Boost will push oil past the seals. Best way to try to control them for the most part is to be sure you have a good PCV and its hooked to a good vacum source. HTH
+1 on that. Oil return lines are almost impossible to stop from leaking without zillion dollar fittings/lines.

With an older turbo motor, the blow by on the engine is going to be a fair amount, and it will push all your engine seals outward from the inside. Valve cover gaskets, oil pan gaskets, rear main seals, front seals, oil galley gaskets are all common on older turbo cars to leak oil. If its not more than a quart per oil change, and its not getting on the clutch or making anything else fail, then I wouldn't worry about it. And I'd buy a thin metal pan from a parts store.

My SRT4 always leaked oil after I pulled the turbo for the first time.. Only time it every didn't leak oil was when I used glue on everything when I put it back together to trade it in, hahaha.
02' wranlger apex edition with EFI 5.0L 302 SBF. 5.5'' lift, custom 4-link 8.8 in the rear, high pinion D30 front with locker.
A wise man once said, " I didn't wash my hands b/c my D**K is cleaner then ANYTHING, in that bathroom"
Old 01-29-2009, 01:50 PM
The lost pony

I own a couple 2.3 turbos and the oil return line has never leaked. I have had the turbo off numerous times.neither cars leak oil. dont just forget about it fix it. If you have enough crankcase pressure to blow oil out its time to do something about it. I run 20+ pounds of boost and have had leaks before but I fix them.If you dont fix it it will eventually bite you in the ass. run it low on oil and it will spin a rod bearing, and you are gonna forget to check it. if you have excessive crankcase pressure under boost vent it to a catch can.