Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

03 Cobra rattling issues - Help

Old 09-04-2008, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Cobra rattling issues - Help

I have an 03 Cobra I've had approximately 2 years now. I purchased it used with ~ 21 K miles and I currently have about 28K miles on it.

The following mods were done to it about 7K miles back and approximately 18 months ago: Bassani X pipe and Borla cat back exhaust, diablo tuned, 2.75 blower pully, K&N cold air kit. I've had no issues with it until now.

My issue is I'm hearing a rattling noise when the engine is first cranked and idling it speeds up when I rev the engine, and there is no change in the noise when I engage the clutch.

I believe the noise is coming from the transmission, possibly the exhaust, but I've checked the exhaust and it appears there is no loose bolts joints etc..

With the little miles that the car has on it, can anyone give me any possible causes of the problem?

I appreciate any help provided.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:10 AM
Is workin on his car

Well if you think its coming from the trans most likely its a throw out bearing.

Even though you said it doenst change pitch when you push the clutch in doesnt rule out the throw out bearing. I have seen TOB's so fucked up that they still made noise with the clutch pushed in or out! But TOB's make more of a squeal noise.

Did you actually put a wrench on all the exhaust bolts? Make shure its not hitting the frame anywhere.

Or it could be something broken inside the trans rolling around. How does it shift? I would almost have to hear it in person though. Bring it by the shop some time I will listen to it and tell you what I think....no charge

Last edited by 91Notch; 09-04-2008 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:54 AM
is breaking shit

the are TSB's about rattling noise from the engine on 03 to Early 04 cobra's with out the revised heads.
I think I still take the "stupid owner" of the month award here.
RIP Tad.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:50 AM

I appreciate the replies.

As far as I can tell the exhaust is not touching anywhere, the noise is coming from under the car. I jacked it up and listened and it sounds like the noise is coming from somewhere between the flywheel and cats, it's hard to pin point though. It sounds like a rattle similar to if I had pebbles in my transmission or cats. I have no problems shifting gears.

I remember reading about the revised heads, supposely my year is suppose to have them, plus it don't sound like an engine problem more transmission or exhaust.

I appreciate the replies from both of you.

91 Notch, I may take you up on the offer, when is a good time (hours, days) to stop by your shop?

Last edited by SVTd; 09-04-2008 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:07 PM
lives in a glass house

could be a cat going bad....

Originally Posted by cochese
Focus on getting that piece shit down the track, stop posting stories.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:32 PM

I had the throw out bearing sleeve break on my T56 causing the same condition and noise your describing. The sleeve breaks off the trans and spins and rattles. May be something you might want to check. Ford sells an upgraded sleeve for the trans.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:45 AM
Is workin on his car

Originally Posted by $hawn
could be a cat going bad....
+1
Old 09-05-2008, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by JDL1000
I had the throw out bearing sleeve break on my T56 causing the same condition and noise your describing. The sleeve breaks off the trans and spins and rattles. May be something you might want to check. Ford sells an upgraded sleeve for the trans.
It's funny after searching the internet all day yesterday trying to find information about all possible causes, I found the following article stating the same thing. ModularFords.com - View Single Post - Repair cost for TSB 4-13-4 difficult shift and rattle noise Sounds just like what you are talking about.

Thanks alot for the help.

Also, I found this forum talking about replacing the sleeve and in case anyone else has the same issue here are some pictures of a guy replacing the Throw out bearing sleeve in his Cobra. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...d.php?t=254118

Last edited by SVTd; 09-06-2008 at 06:08 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:52 PM
bvh

all 4v heads have issues there has been tsb for the drive side head on 96,97,98, 99, 01, 03,04 cobras . but it docent sound like the head to me ..
Originally Posted by IwinUlose
the are TSB's about rattling noise from the engine on 03 to Early 04 cobra's with out the revised heads.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:14 PM
Banned

Cobra's are so problem heavy. I know someone with a Cobra and he ALWAYS has a problem with it. I'm not just saying that or being a douche here but it seems like every little thing you have to replace even after just 25k on your car. Ridiculous IMO. I'm talking starter, alternator, etc. etc. that lasts forever on other cars.