Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

Who runs a 460

Old 07-16-2008, 02:35 PM
Made Of Scars

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who runs a 460

So i'm nearing finishing up the floors and frame rail( let's hope my welds hold). Im really thinking i may not put this car back on street and leave it gutted. My plans were originally to go with a 351w. Im really been given alot of thought to a 460. I have concerns however one being a t-roof, how the torque of a 460 may effect the structure. The second, what are options for a manual tranny? t-56?
My understanding is a cage can render some structural integrity.

I can save some $$$ if i forgo the restoration. THoughts?
Old 07-16-2008, 02:50 PM
DA Hottest 1 under da SUN

my boys got one in a 93 hatch with a moon roof seems to hold up just fine with the 460 in it,and they make a bell housing conversion kit so you can put a T5 on the 460 if you want a stick(im sure you can use other manual tranys with the conversion), he's running a c6 now but were thinking about doing a c4 there lighter....you'll need some custom motor mounts to fit the 460 in the Fox and custom headers we used 3 pcs hookers to get the clearance plus you have to put the trans in on the ground first and then drop in the motor in and bolt it to the mounts then line the trans and put the headers through at the same time (damn long tubes) headers are the bitch out of it allbut it might be a diffrent install on your car seems like you have it cut up and welded so you might not have to much of an issue squeezing it in we tried to leave it as stock as possible lol

p.s -we thought about the stick conversion too BBF banging gears =bad ass

stick with me kid you'll go places..
"if you have to ask,you probably lack the testicular fortitude to do,the money to obtain it..and the skills to build it. just give up."
"Racing from a roll is like masturbation....its good...but its just not the real thing."
"Run your car not your mouth"

Last edited by D-Phresh; 07-16-2008 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:15 PM
thinks TR sucks ass now

go for the big block, makes a real fun car. i did that swap years ago in my 85 tbird. just get subs and a good cage and the t tops should live.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:01 PM
refinish artist

I'm a fan of the Windsors,for the money the 351/stock block combo can't be beat.Big blocks are good,if you have the money to throw at them.But small block parts are everywhere,and the right set up will make a lot of power.

RIP Chester P.Anderson Jr.9/23/05 I love you dad,and miss you very much.

RIP Kevin"Slo SI" 9/13/06,we will miss you homie,time heals wounds but you will never be forgotten
Old 07-16-2008, 07:26 PM

I'm with 351Coupe on the idea that small blocks are just quicker and cheaper to build.

And as 79 pace car said, definitely look into a cage and subframes. I know a good guy (((see sig))).

But man, how cool would a BBF w/a stick be in a Fox?!
Old 07-18-2008, 07:21 AM
Made Of Scars

Originally Posted by MiDiablo
I'm with 351Coupe on the idea that small blocks are just quicker and cheaper to build.

And as 79 pace car said, definitely look into a cage and subframes. I know a good guy (((see sig))).

But man, how cool would a BBF w/a stick be in a Fox?!
Actually, the next thing on my plate was to put both subframes and the cage in. PM me a quote?

Where is the problem with the headers fitting, the k member?

Last edited by byondevl; 07-18-2008 at 07:28 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by byondevl
Actually, the next thing on my plate was to put both subframes and the cage in. PM me a quote?
I PM'd you. Chad, "n8secstangg" is the person you would want to speak with about the quoting of prices You can click on the links in my signature to see the pictures of my chassis work done by his shop.

-Jo$h
Old 07-18-2008, 09:24 AM

call me when u get a chance

chad
813-784-8248

www.racinginnovationsfl.com
www.xsrcylinderheads.com
4.842@156 and 7.53@192 on radials
Old 07-25-2008, 06:52 AM
Made Of Scars

After seeing a few builds with the p-51 heads, im pretty convinced on the bbf. I'm looking for a suitable block right now. I think the Tremec TKO 600 may just be what im looking for in the trans. There are some things I need to research more though. Ive heard a few people say they had to cut up more sheet metal in the trans tunnel to fit the tko.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:31 PM
Bondsman

I'm with 351Coupe on the idea that small blocks are just quicker and cheaper to build
I dont agree with this statement at all. You can run a stock bottom end big bolck with some cheap of the shelf TRW slugs (with some compression), decent cam and carb you have a receipt that puts down way more torque than most pricey small blocks. Add some spray to that and that would be tough to beat Horsepower /cubic inch / per dollar spent. Plus I look at dependability, you dont have to spin the big block no were near as hard to make that torque and horsepower which means it will live longer