Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

gear question

Old 04-02-2008, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gear question

I recently had 3.73s installed on my 01 mustang(auto). I don't really feel that much of a difference, but the installer said I probably should have gotten 4.11s being that i have an auto. my question is when i do hit the gas from a stop i feel a little rumble, which could just be the tires spinning, no peel out screech though, but I don't know if it could be the gears. When gears are grinding do you hear it or do you feel it?
Old 04-02-2008, 09:57 PM
I can fix your bullshit

both usually you hear it whine but if they were installed really fucked up it is possible to feel it also.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:35 AM
Is workin on his car

+1 on what tiffiny said

if your hearing and feeling a rumble noise they where probably installed incorrectly.

Although it his normal to hear it whine just a little in higher rpm and just crusing down the road. But it will be a very, very faint whine you should only hear it with the windows rolled up, a/c off, and the radio off. If you can hear a whine over all those then something is probably wrong.

For the record all bigger gears will whine a tad thats just the nature of the beast. But there is an accecptable limit if you get what I mean.

But you should never be able to feel a gear, something sounds amiss. The might of set something up inside there too loose, like maybe not enough preload on the pinion or maybe they have too much backlash???? Hard to say, someone would have to open it back up and mearsure everything and check all that shit to make shure.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:42 AM

+1 on what 91 notch said ! He is a great tech and will help you if he can dont hesitate to give dave a call he will go out of his way to help you !
Old 04-03-2008, 01:04 PM
Is workin on his car

Originally Posted by crod99
+1 on what 91 notch said ! He is a great tech and will help you if he can dont hesitate to give dave a call he will go out of his way to help you !
Thanks buddy, rep fo u.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:25 PM
lives in a glass house

could also be the differential. especially if your installer didn't put friction modifier in it.

Originally Posted by cochese
Focus on getting that piece shit down the track, stop posting stories.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:50 PM
has his prioritys ef'd up

Originally Posted by $hawn
could also be the differential. especially if your installer didn't put friction modifier in it.

Sometimes the obvious are not so obvious. Who did the install?
2005 Excursion (Big Pig)
Old 04-03-2008, 04:42 PM
Is workin on his car

Originally Posted by $hawn
I will agree with that statement but asuming that this problem just showed up after the gears where installed leads me to beleive they where installed incorrectly

And as the friction modifier usually if that wasnt put in the noise usually would happen on a turn not in a straight line. (but i agree i have seen it happen)

But if you took it somewhere and they didnt know to put that friction modifier in well they plain and simple didnt know what they where doing.

Unless you used a royal purple of amsoil, they have the friction modifier already added to the fluid right out of the bottle.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:46 AM

I had them installed at Race Related in clearwater.....a lot of people tell me they do good work. that's why i'm not sure if they were installed incorrectly, they do that kind of stuff all the time. It's kind of hard to explain this. I don't hear any whine. just from a complete stop I hit the gas and it rumbles in the back. I can't see the tires so I have no clue if they are just spinning and that is what the rumble is or it is the gears. I've never had gears installed so I really dont no
Old 04-06-2008, 09:49 AM

also, it never happens any other time just when i hit the gas from a stop.